How do you stow your dinghy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

C2 Editorial

How do you stow your dinghy while underway? Are you organized enough to find locker stowage? Do you simply lash it to the stern and head out? Are you in the habit of hoisting it onto the foredeck, or hanging it from davits? Share your dinghy preferences here, then go to the home page and vote for your preference in this week's Quick Quiz.

M

Mitchel Stroh

No dinghy

You left out one response. No dinghys on board.

G

Greg Stebbins

HOW do you decide....

With a 23, HOW do you decide which one is the dinghy and which is the boat? (This is a JOKE Phil)

R

Ron Hughes

Stow the dink

We have a 9 foot Quicksilver inflatable with a 15 horse Merc for our dink. When we are in calm waters we tow it on a bridle just ahead of the first high point of the wake so that it tends to 'surf' easily behind us. In rough water that would tend to hurt the dingy or worse, fill it with water, we lash it to the foredeck in an inverted position. When day-sailing near the dock we leave the Quicksilver at home. We carry a 'toy' inflatable with oars for short trips to the beach or whatever(don't try to row one of these very far!) Inverted it makes a great air mattress, and with a sun-shower it makes a fine bathtub! Ron

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Doesn't everyone give up half their lazerette?

I have been wrestling with this problem for my new Catalina. In the end I chose a small enough dink to deflate easily and fit in the laz. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

M

Merrill Mant

Always tow

We are fortunate that we are able to use our dink almost every night that we are on board.....whether to visit friends in the anchorage, go explore the shore or to get the puppies ashore for as run. Couldn't sail without our dink close by!!

T

Tom Ehmke

dink storage

Sounds like a lot of us "wrestle" with the idea of stowing a dink. When I finally bought a 9' Quicksilver three years ago, I had to remove the cushion in the quarter berth (which wasn't a quality resting place anyway) and stow the dink in its bag there. The "wrestle" part comes when I have to haul it into the cockpit and use the pump provided to inflate the darned thing. I've got an antique 1.5hp Evinrude which is locked onto the stern rail when we're sailing and stowed inside at the marina. I love that little engine. I can carry it with one arm and it moves the dink...barely.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
On the Coach Roof

Our dingy is an Avon 3.15 roll-up with an 8hp outboard. The boat is an '88 Hunter 35 which has a large lazarette. I built a shelf in the lazarette for stowage of sail bags, backup ground tackle, and long term stowage of the outboard such as when not using the boat. On trips the outboard is stowed against the pushpit and the aluminum toe rail and lashed down. The Avon is stored on the coach roof in front of the dodger and lashed down to the stainless steel hand rails. When ready to deploy the bow and transom is unfolded and then it's inflated - about five minutes. Using the main halyard and the preventer (large Schaefer model with jam cleats)it is lifted using a bridle over the lifelines and lowered into the water and then the outboard is attached. I'm reluctant to tow the dingy - depends on conditions. I've had it flipped over by wind and nearly lost the roll-up floor once (and Avons are heavy) and the wind was only around 20 kts. This was a good wake up call on what can happen. The coach roof location is out of the way but it does restrict the view forward somewhat. This location also blocks the salon hatch but on hot days the inflateable can be blocked up 8 inches or so for ventilation - seldom a problem in the Northwest! Normally the hatch is locked shut to keep the rain out!!!

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Dingy Davits could save your life

Boats sink to fast to spend 5 minutes inflating your dingy. If you have a emergency life raft, fine stow the dingy. But if the inflatable could save lives keep it inflated and ready to deploy!

M

Mark Johnson

We never leave the dock without it!

Usually the first thing we do when we get to our anchorage in the afternoon is mix a cocktail and take a dinghy ride. It's relaxing and nice to explore. We tow our RIB with a 9.9hp. Not always the best solution when the weather kicks up, but it's too heavy to haul up on deck. We've been fortunate so far and have not swamped it, or flipped it over. It tows pretty well just in front of the first wave. Mark Johnson

B

Bradley Cavedo

Davits on the P42

We just installed davits on the P42. We have an 8.5 foot with air floor and a 3.3 hp motor. Total weight is about 100 pounds. Haven't used davits yet. I will let you know how we like them. Used to carry gig on the bow over forward hatch. This should be a much better arrangment.

J

Jeff Talbot

what about the ouboard motor?

Just bought an 88 x 33.5 that has an outboard motor holder/transom on the pushpit, I think they were standard issue. I have a Mercury 15hp 2 stroke that weighs 73 lbs. Will the pushpit railing take the weight?

D

Dan Smith

depends on conditions

I store the dink on davits (reinforced) WITH the 9.8 outboard on for under 25kts and 10' sea from 25 to 35 kts or seas 10 to 15' the motor comes off. for 35 kts or 15'+ seas lashed in front of the mast to give insulation from pounding seas. I secure to stainless pad eyes (4)thru bolted and plate backed to the deck with webbing with turnbuckles or tensioners sewn in. I would NEVER EVER lash ANYTHING to the rails since they are not that strong and one good wave or waves can easily carry away your dink and rip out rails and hole the deck all in one move! AND IT REALLY HAPPENS The overboard mess will now severely compromise the boats safety and yours until you cut it free. Of course you would have a 5/8" bolt/cable cutter on board... you do have one don't you.

C

C2 Editorial

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 4/10/2000: How do you stow your dinghy while underway? 58% Tow 18% On deck 13% In a locker 11% On davits

Status
Not open for further replies.