How do I get 20 mph?

• Thread starter Michael Shomate
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Shomate

I just took delivery on my new Mac26x a couple of weeks ago. I have broken-in my Suzuki 50 HP motor, but when I go full throttle, I only goet about 17 knots with the ballest empty. What am I doing wrong?

K

Kevin

ummm, nothing?

I get 16.3 on the GPS with a Nissan 50 at a density altitude of about 9500. Poles up, two people..sounds right to me.

F

Fred Mimken

50 MPH

I have a 26x with a 60 horse Johnson. It makes a difference with the mast up and the weight on the boat. With an empty balast and mast down, I can get over 20 MPH.

M

Michael Shomate

Do you take the mast off?

Do you take the mast off of the boat and leave it ashore?

S

SeaLord

20 MPH is c. 17 knts!

1 knot = 1 nautical mile/hr, = approx 1 and 1/8 statute mile, so 17 x 1.125 IS about 20 MPH. You CAN go a bit fast by trimming the bow. Do this by putting 25lb sacks of stones or spare water tanks in the forward V berth, total number to be determined by experiment. General reports suggest 50- 100 lb is about right.

R

Ron Kovacs

So What!

I also have a new Mac26X...and get about the same speed as you do...Why 20mph...although Sealord is right...17knts is 20 mph...big deal...your're stll going faster than any other sail boat out there! Hope you are enjoying your new boat as much as I am...certainly a lot better than the old Cal 20 I had.

K

Kevin

Special Kind of Fiction

Ahhhhh another victim of the 'Mac Video' the 20MPH is a another special kind of fiction, under normal load with a 50HP your MPH sounds about right. Of Course, you can always de mast, no water ballast and no supplies...than you could squezze out another few MPH. But than why would you want to???

Status
Not open for further replies.