How best to stay onboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2005
- - Brooklyn, NYC
I am looking for advice on safety. I am anticipating that I will be sailing solo most of the season in coastal waters ¡V always within sight of land and will plan on running 2 jacklines on either side of the boat. I am stuck on deciding whether to get an integrated harness /PFD or just get a harness (without a PFD) that will not be too bulky and allow me to wear it during the cool and miserably hot summer months. I am concerned that during the summer months it will be easier for me to convince myself not to wear the PFD with a harness due to weather and comfort. Any first hand advise on what type of equipment to setup on the boat and on your body (ƒº) to keep certain that you¡¦re on the boat w/o causing a great deal of inconvenience, Tony Litvak C

J

Judith

PFD harness

How about one of those self-inflating PFDs with CO2 cartridges also eqipped with a harness clip? They are not cheap, $200 or so, but well worth the money, especially if you're single handing. I wear one in the summer over a t-shirt, and it has never bothered me. Better than watching the boat sail away :) Cheers, Judith

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Harness

Get yourself to a West Marine or similar store and try on several types. Buy the one that feels the most comfortable to you. You are the one who will be wearing it. Then buy it and wear it. I figured out that if I wear a harness, with a fairly short tether, don't need any type of PFD, as my tether isn't long enough for my head to get into the water. Phil Prater

J

Jeff G.

PFD Harnesss

I do a lot of solo sailing and used to use a harness with a life vest. Last year, I changed to a Sospender automatic inflatable with the harness built in. For me, it was a great move. The harness was a real pain when I had to add or remove clothing, which happens a lot on Lake Michigan. I would have to remove my life vest, remove the harness, put on or take off a jacket and then resize both the harness and life jacket. The inflatable has a quick adjusting strap so resizing is a breeze. The inflatable is a little bulky around my neck but I got used to that in not time. Good luck on your decision. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.