How Best to Access Instrument Wiring on B311 Steering Pedestal

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
Dear Forum,

I have a 2000 Beneteau 311 with wheel steering. I have an older Garmin 276C GPS attached to the side that I think the original owner added when new. The plug for the GPS has pulled apart, so that I need to replace the plug and the wiring. I am prepared to cut the wiring from a charger I have that has the same plug and use that wire. Please see the attached pictures. The GPS cable goes into the side of the pedestal just below the engine instruments. The hole is just big enough for the cable. I was able to pull out about 2' of cable before I came to a section that was missing the overall cover, and the the cable would come out no further. I could see a half dozen little wires or so inside the cable There is a small access panel at the bottom front of the steering pedestal, but I can't see anything relating to the GPS cable from there, even with a light and a mirror. All the wiring and cables go thru a conduit at the lower right (starboard) of the pedestal, but the GPS cable does not appear to be in that bunch of wires. There also appears to be a short conduit in the upper portion of of the steering pedestal, above the wheel axle, to contain the wiring up there and keep it out of the way.

I suspect that although the GPS cable has many wires for interfacing to other instruments, just the power wires are connected to something inside the upper part of the steering pedestal, but I don't know. Having the GPS on or off does not appear to affect the other instruments, including the RayMarine autopilot.

It looks like the only way to gain access to the wiring is to remove the top portion of the steering pedestal, but there is so much in there that I am reluctant to do it unless I am reasonably sure that it is the intended method of working on the wiring. There are also 2 instrument pods attached to the handhold at the top of the pedestal that may have to removed to get the top of the pedestal off. What does the forum think? How does one work on this wiring?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Eleven

Feb 4, 2021
. . St Louis
Not a great picture but below is the arrangement on my B311. There are 2 screws on each port and starboard sides of the top portion. Removing these screws lets me pop up the top part by a few inches without messing up with all the wiring there.
I would try that first and if you don't have a good enough gap to fix your wiring, removing the engine control cover may give you a little more room.
Curious if you find any other way and good luck.

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The entire top comes off. Undo all the screws and lift. Mine lifts and I have enough wires to turn it upside down forward of its current position.

Greg