Houston, we have a Problem - H36 Compression Post

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
Constructed the box of G-10 that will be bonded around the upper post that is still adhered to the underside of the cabin sole. This is presently filled with resin and is being held in place with a car jack while it cures. Should provide a flat surface for the wooden screw/jack assembly to connect with. Next step is to epoxy the cherry-wood post and coat it in resin. I plan to then weld a 3x3" square washer to the bolt head which will fit into a "gate" on the underside of the G10 box. Finally I'll embed a 6x8" 1/2" thick G10 board to the keel area to provide a flat surface for the cheery post to rest upon. That keel area is an un-even surface so I will use four screws, tapped into the G10 plate's corners to act as adjustable "feet" to get the plate parallel to the G10 box that is bonded to the post up top. Phew, sounds complicated, but not too crazy...only a little crazy. Made a quick test fit of the post...getting closer to being able to re-step the mast.

Attachments

Aug 10, 2010
Almost done. I embedded a 1/2" 6x8" G10 plate on top of the keel, using some threaded 1/4" bolts to act as adjustable feet to get the plate level/parallel with teh post and upper box, using thickened epoxy resin underneath providing a bonding connection. Once cured I'll remove the bolts (hopefully they have enough wax on them so as not to bond with the resin) and then should be about done except for some minor tweaks..

Attachments

Aug 10, 2010
I think I can call this complete barring any issues when I re-step the mast. Replaced the fiberglass shower access cover with a 3/16" plexiglass cover so I can keep a better eye on that area of the bilge. On to 17 other projects...hope to be sailing by May-June.

Attachments

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I think I can call this complete barring any issues when I re-step the mast. Replaced the fiberglass shower access cover with a 3/16" plexiglass cover so I can keep a better eye on that area of the bilge. On to 17 other projects...hope to be sailing by May-June.
Beautiful work.