Hour meter

Oct 22, 2006
O DAY 27 LE philadelphia pa
I have a 1987 O’day 27le. Today I noticed the hour meter was not registering the hours. The engine is a westerbeke 10-2 a 10 hp Diesel engine. I don’ have any idea on what to check. The tac and the hour meter are on the same dial. The tac is functioning normally.any help appreciated.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
The tac gets a pulse signal the hour gauge gets 12volt when key on. Check power and ground at counter

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If the hour display is digital LCD (not mechanical) it has probably failed. That type of display does not last. Buy a separate hour meter and install it anywhere you choose, continue to use the tach. (You can bring the new meter up to the number of hours required by hard-wiring it to a battery, and set an alarm on your phone to remember to remove power at the proper time.)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Excellent answers, check for 12V power at the connectors, if there is power and it does not work then just purchase a stand alone unit and connect to the Key switch so that when the key is turned to On power will be supplied to the counter. The thought behind it is that every time you turn the key is that you are going to start the engine and not just wanting to hear the buzzer alarm go off. The hour meter has other functions besides counting engine hours, you can do maintenance schedules, assist in navigation and very accurately calculate fuel burn rate and amount of usable fuel left in the tank at any moment. This information translates to range on the water according to the conditions and decisions about refueling stops. Hope is just a bad ground connection.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This past season, my sailing buddy @LeslieTroyer gave me a hobbs engine clock he was not using. It was an easy add on to my boat. Wired to the starter switch when I turn on the motor, the clock in energized. As Benny states, it is a handy way to keep track of many service issues.

My boat log has a more accurate record of engine use, fuel consumption, filter use, etc.

An engine clock is a great feature to add to your instrument panel.