Hot Water using Engine Heat Exchanger

• Thread starter Dream Weaver #224
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dream Weaver #224

Does anyone know how long it takes running the engine to produce "Hot Water" via the heat exchanger to the hot water tank if its already cooled down to ambient?

K

Ken Juul

Re: Hot water

not sure of your hose routing. On my 34, I get no heating of the hot water until the thermostat opens, which I think is 160. My run down the channel to the dock takes about 20 minutes, always have hot water when we dock. Tank size will also effect the time. We have a 6 gallon hot water tank.

C

Chip Ehrlich

Hot Water All The Time

Do you leave your hot water heater on all the time or do you just rely on the engine heat exhange?

May 28, 2004
Catalina 350 Rockhall ,Md.
Hot Water while on the hook 3rd day out.

The 11 gallon water heater while on shorepower heats up fast and is hot for between 12-24 hours depending on use.While on the hook it seems to take quite a while to generate "hot" water via the exchanger (engine running).I am guessing 11 gallons is quite a bit to heat up via the exchanger at 160 degrees.

T

Tom S

It takes a while to heat up while at anchor

and just running the engine at idle or fast idle. If you are pushing the boat through seas and putting a load on the engine then it will get hot. But I have only been able to produce moderately warm water at anchor via the engine and I only have a 6 gallon water heater.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Lake Lanier, GA
Hot water at anchor

Your engine will only circulate hot coolant to the water heater when the thermostat is open. Think of the water heater like the heater on your car. If your having a hard time getting good heat at anchor, try putting the trans in reverse and pulling on the anchor with a higher idle. It's better to run the engine under load and will get to temp quicker.

Jun 3, 2004
Dreamweaver...

What engine do you have. I just ran into the same problem with a Beneteau that has a Westerbeke. Is there any way you can post a photo of the front of your engine, the area where the hoses connect to the water heater? Pat

May 28, 2004
Common issue

I just saw some friends at our marina...It seems at anchor there is never enough load on the engine to get the water past "warm".This was confirmed also on Beneteau's and Catalina's.

Jun 3, 2004
I disagree...

My Perkins get the water to hot, 150'F. I believe there is an issue with the plumbing of the water heaters. Thats why I was asking. I'm taking the issue to Westerbeke tomorow.

Jun 3, 2004
DreanWeaver...please read and respond

I've done some more research on the problem this weekend. If you have a Westerbeke,(painted red not light blue)do your hoses conect to a small tube between the circulation pump and the bottom of the thermostat housing? If so, then you have a circulation problem. The water in the hoses is getting warm by conduction and not flow. This keeps down the available BTU's to the water heater. Please respond to this post, I need more documentation to take the problem to Westerbeke and fight for a recall. Pat McCartin kd4yor@hotmail.com Inland Marine Diesel Lake Lanier, GA 404-513-4414

May 28, 2004
Universal not Westerbeke.....

I have the light blue color Universal Engine.It will produce hot water with the engine under load...but not at anchor or mooring.It usually gets warm enought for a shower using mostly hot water instead of the normal 50/50 mix of hot and cold.

Jun 3, 2004
Well,

That news just throws a wrench in my plan. I found an issue with the Westerbeke. The Universal you have "should" be plumbed correctly. One hose goes to the circulation pump, the other to the thermostat area. The hoses should be 5/8" diameter. Think of a fresh water cooled engine like a car engine, it's thermostaticly controled to maintain a temperature. Idealy the engine should be 170-190 deg F. The water heater can be related to the heater on your car, same principal. Once the engine is at temp the coolant in the heater is active. The only reason I can think of for not generating heat is an air lock. Unless you have one of the new Force 10 heaters with scald guard. They are also thermostaticly controled to keep the temp of the hot water down. I don't know the specs.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
No Problem!

I was always told that marine engines should not be idled for any length of time without being under load. I've never heard of this advice being debunked as a myth...so I follow it. When at anchor, I put the tranny into reverse and rev the engine up to about 1500 RPM. I do this to get the alternator to put out a decent charge. The secondary benefit is that as a result, there is plenty of hot water. We have a Cat 320 with the 3GM Yanmar.

Status
Not open for further replies.