Hot Rum

Jun 7, 2007
Pearson- 323- Mobile,Al
The days are colder now and iced rum is not as much fun as it was in August. So now my rum is hot. right now my favorite concoction is Molasses ,Brown sugar, lemon juice, rum. The proportions are varied to taste. A good start is a tablespoon each or brown sugar and molasses. maybe two tablespoons of lemon juice 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 cup of rum. Fill the cup with boiling water and enjoy. Sometimes I just go with rum,molasses and cinnamon. All is good and tastes better with practice.

Bob V

Mar 13, 2008
Catalina 42mkII Lagoon Point
Thanks for the recipe

I have just been taking a big drink out of a cold can of Coca Cola and then fill back up to the top with rum, repeat as required. Not fancy but it works.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Instead of rum, why not make your own egg nog and add your favorite liqueur for flavor? I was watching Food Network and saw Alton Brown make egg nog. It looked simple enough and I just might try it myself. Although I do not indulge in the spirits, I just might find myself adding a little something. :D

Jun 7, 2007
Pearson- 323- Mobile,Al
Rum is the KING of drinks for sailers!!!! Has been for centuries. I think the english sailers of old got a pint per day. Their rum was the real stuff like 180 proof that I can't buy locally. Someone was real smart to water down alcohol and charge the same price. But since I discovered rum this past summer it has been my alcohol of choice. I remember rum in girly drinks back in college but was not interested as real men drink straight scotch. But maybe with lowered testosterone levels rum has become an interesting drink. Blame it on some fellow sailers who came back from the Virgin islands singing the praises of Mojitos after a couple of their mojitos I started drinking rum.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Rum and coke with a little key lime, that's good. Strong coffee with cream, sugar and a glug of rum, that's very good slurped for a cold winter drink. I must confess that good cognac or Jack Daniel's pleases me more than rum. Although I can get very happy with Pina Colladas.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
I'd be willing to say that there's more than a fair share of sailors today, that don't know why rum is the beverage of sailors world wide in the early days.

Keep it up,
Ctskip

Jan 4, 2006
Catalina 36 MKII Buford, Ga.
Skip,
Good question, my guess is that it has to do with sugar cane in the Caribbean. I'll vounteer to "splice the main brace"...that'll keep it up.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
It comes from the biblical book of Proverbs: "Wine is a mocker and strong drink is raging and he who is decived there by is a fool BUT give wine to him who is heavy of heart and strong drink to he who is about to die that they may drink and remember their troubles no more.

Oct 10, 2006
Oday 222 Mt. Pleasant, SC
Instead of rum, why not make your own egg nog and add your favorite liqueur for flavor? I was watching Food Network and saw Alton Brown make egg nog. It looked simple enough and I just might try it myself. Although I do not indulge in the spirits, I just might find myself adding a little something. :D
My favorite cooking show by far. I actually just made some of the cooked version last night. Sans bourbon. It's in the fridge for tonight. People can add whatever liquor they want. It's really good. Nothing like store bought, but very frothy.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
Water developed slim and became bad. Rum stayed good in the casks below deck

Merry Christmas all

Keep it up,
Ctskip