Hoses for cooling and engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
First boat you all,

I need to replace a lot of hoses on my 1984 Westerbeke 10 Two. A few of these hoses are painted red with the same paint from the motor. Is this necessary??? Also, do I need to buy all these hoses from a marine parts store or can I take it in and match at any auto parts or hose specialty store. Do they need any special treatment?

Much thanks,
JB

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
painting hose

They assemble those engine in a factory and just spray paint the whole thing. IMHO, that's not necessary to paint the hose.

Engine hose are just automotive / truck hose. Just be careful with the water inlet (from the thruhull). It should be marine grade with a steel reinforcement wire inside to prevent collapsing. Land based engine seldom use steel reinforced hose except the radiator to water pump inlet for the same reason, to prevent collapsing.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes and no. Not all hoses need to be a manufacturers replacement but some may. Those hoses that have an intricate bend pattern are better obtained from the manufacturer while those straight connecting hoses can be replaced with automotive type. The paint is no issue.

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Yes and no. Not all hoses need to be a manufacturers replacement but some may. Those hoses that have an intricate bend pattern are better obtained from the manufacturer while those straight connecting hoses can be replaced with automotive type. The paint is no issue.
That is kind of what I was thinking. I have a couple shorty's with 90 degree bends that I planned on going thru Westerbeke for.

Thanks for the confirmation.

JB

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Found out the expensive way, not all hoses are created equally! Some of my hoses are molded with different diameters at each end!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.