Horizontal Wheel - something for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Glenn:

A couple of years ago I had a vision after watching "Failure to Launch". It was the horizontal "Bus" type wheel they had on that boat for a helm that spurred my thinking. I thought a horizontal wheel the same size as the 42" wheel I have now would be awesome in my large roundish cockpit. Add on the ability for it to telescope up and down a pole with a fixed table on it would make it very applealing to me.

I had a vision of being at the helm and letting the wheel telescope up so I could walk under it to the cabin and then bring it down and ask somebody to take the helm, which of course, they wouldn't have to leave their seat to do so. When at anchor or at the dock, I could just scope it up to the top and free up the whole cockpit....or leave a pole for a dancer :)

I was pretty serious about it and posted it on this site to get opinions. It seemed the opinions were split right down the middle; it was either hated or loved. I sent an email to Hunter to read the thread and see what they would have to say and their reponse was "we don't read from that site". I felt insulted and never brought it up again....but....

Maybe now is the time. Pass on a thought to a boat designer and let him mull it over and possibiliy improve on the idea. Anything to make a boat better for the individual buying it.

Franklin

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
Probably the only limiting factor would be expense of manufacturing. Unless some one came up with a very simple design, it probably would cost too much. That is creative thinking.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Well, if it had an arch over the cockpit, the wheel could go up and down a pole that is anchored by the arch at the top and a solid cockpit floor. I really don't think it's hard to do when building from stratch, but modifing a boat to do this is.

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
Come on in, the water is fine. Get into the details of making it work and practical to build seems like a bigger challenge than first imagined. I suppose it could be easier than I envision. If it were simple enough it could be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.