Hoping to start traveling with the boat :)

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
I've been blessed to have my boat in a slip for the last 3 years. Sadly while it has been nice to have the boat ready to go at all times, I'm quite bored with day sailing the same grounds over and over and am ready to start traveling to other areas as the boat design intended. There aren't really any destinations to do a day sail at here and the conditions change so much that my longer trips have been pretty rough in the bay. Due to CA boat inspections, it would be a nightmare to transition from salt water to fresh water repeatedly, So I've decided to let go of my slip. This saves me some money and I'll just keep it in my covered driveway. How has this experience been for others? I have a 2020 Toyota tundra 4wd that tows it fairly well. Trailer is rebuilt and in good condition. Spare tire and bearings. Not sure if the effort is worth just an over night trip but I wanted to get others thoughts. I can do some 3 day weekending. Due to the boat mostly being in a slip, I've only had to rig the boat maybe 10x and have made it pretty easy but there is still a lot to do with all of the accessories and extra sailing controls to where it still is at least an hour of rigging each way plus travel time. There are a few nice bodies of water within 100-150 miles of here. Looking at these lakes:

Folsom Lake (overnight)
Clearlake (overnight or 3 day weekend)
Lake Berryessa (overnight)

and a little further out:

Huntington lake (3 day weekend)
Lake Tahao (this is a dream location for me, probably try to do a whole week here)

Any thoughts on these sailing areas with the Cat 22 WK and also overnighting on the lake, some might not "allow" it. Probably wouldn't travel to lakes that I can't spend the night on. Thanks for the insight. -Jason

Attachments

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I've been blessed to have my boat in a slip for the last 3 years. Sadly while it has been nice to have the boat ready to go at all times, I'm quite bored with day sailing the same grounds over and over and am ready to start traveling to other areas as the boat design intended. There aren't really any destinations to do a day sail at here and the conditions change so much that my longer trips have been pretty rough in the bay. Due to CA boat inspections, it would be a nightmare to transition from salt water to fresh water repeatedly, So I've decided to let go of my slip. This saves me some money and I'll just keep it in my covered driveway. How has this experience been for others? I have a 2020 Toyota tundra 4wd that tows it fairly well. Trailer is rebuilt and in good condition. Spare tire and bearings. Not sure if the effort is worth just an over night trip but I wanted to get others thoughts. I can do some 3 day weekending. Due to the boat mostly being in a slip, I've only had to rig the boat maybe 10x and have made it pretty easy but there is still a lot to do with all of the accessories and extra sailing controls to where it still is at least an hour of rigging each way plus travel time. There are a few nice bodies of water within 100-150 miles of here. Looking at these lakes:

Folsom Lake (overnight)
Clearlake (overnight or 3 day weekend)
Lake Berryessa (overnight)

and a little further out:

Huntington lake (3 day weekend)
Lake Tahao (this is a dream location for me, probably try to do a whole week here)

Any thoughts on these sailing areas with the Cat 22 WK and also overnighting on the lake, some might not "allow" it. Probably wouldn't travel to lakes that I can't spend the night on. Thanks for the insight. -Jason
Don't restrict yourself to only California. The Tucson Sailing Club is inexpensive, mostly trailerable, and active: https://tucsonsailing.com/

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Have Friends on Huntington with a C22 (sistership to my '73) robust sailing lake with two distinct zones: mild and robust. I'm stuck commuting to water every time out, so the travel and setup time is just status quo for me.

Lot's of anchorage opportunity or camping on land options at Huntington --

IMG_2523 (1).jpg

Aug 15, 2022
Have Friends on Huntington with a C22 (sistership to my '73) robust sailing lake with two distinct zones: mild and robust. I'm stuck commuting to water every time out, so the travel and setup time is just status quo for me.

Lot's of anchorage opportunity or camping on land options at Huntington --

View attachment 227249
I've heard really good things about Huntington. Looks awesome, thank you for the inside knowledge. I'd probably try to do a 3 day getaway there.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I wish we been lucky enough to trailer our C22 to places further away:(

I would love to take part in the annual C22 NSA cruises on the great lakes and gulf coast.
Good luck with the endeavour.:beer:

Aug 15, 2022
I wish we been lucky enough to trailer our C22 to places further away:(

I would love to take part in the annual C22 NSA cruises on the great lakes and gulf coast.
Good luck with the endeavour.:beer:
Thank you, I really think it is a strength of the boat and feel sad that I haven't used it in this way up to to this point. I want to adventure with it as much as possible and schedule allows. Both as a land camper and in the water. Interestingly I have owned both the swing keel (an 84) and my wing keel (88). The wing keel has about 8" deeper draft but sits about 6" lower on the trailer than my swing keel did. So launching it from the ramp has been almost the same experience for me with the trailer extension. It still feels like a large load on the road and its gonna take some getting used too towing it, but im glad I didn't go with a bigger trailerable. Also im going to be able to keep refining my sleeping situation while it's in the driveway to get maximum comfort. I find myself quite picky with my bedding as I get older. Younger days I could fall asleep under a tree :D

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Both as a land camper and in the water
The looks you will get using it as a land camper are hilarious. We ended up in a newsletter when we stayed in a campground over thanksgiving. It's was raining and cold and we had a tarp over mast as a ridge pole. The mast cradle, that we mounted to the rudder, allowed the mast to be high enough when stopped, so we could stand in the cockpit.

A used above ground pool ladder, which has a hand rail at the top, was perfect for getting on/off the boat safely. I trimmed one side off and connected it to the other with some metal pipe. It was the exact height with the upper end sitting in the cockpit.

Also im going to be able to keep refining my sleeping situation while it's in the driveway to get maximum comfort
We replaced the v-berth cushions with rubber matting and 2 hanging cargo nets for a gear storage area, and replaced the table cushion foam with dual density. The modern foam made a major difference in sleeping comfort. We used firm. Found the extra firm a bit too much. We tried the trick of using a filler piece to make the settee and table, into one large bed, but found it a hassle.