Holes in rudder?

Mar 26, 2023
macgregor 26s shell point
I just bought my 26s and i noticed there is no way to hold the rutter stationary in the water. There are 3 holes in the rudder that would line up with a metal bracket. The problem i see is if i do run aground. Do i need to put something in the holes to hold the rudder down or is it designed to pop up?

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Welcome to the forum!

The answer to both of your questions is yes.

The 26S rudder requires a hold-down cable that attaches to the lowest hole on the forward edge. It passes through the bottom of the rudder tube, exiting at the top. A short section of rope is attached to the cable, which is then is secured on the top of the tiller using a cleat, usually a clam cleat. Here is a direct link to that item at Blue Water Yachts. Always carry a spare. Bookmark that site. It is by far your best resource for MacGregor parts.

On the tiller, I use a quick-release clam cleat like this one. Alternatively, you can use a section of rope strong enough to hold the rudder down, but weak enough it will break instead of breaking the cable. I have broken the cable twice (before I installed the quick release clam cleat, that is) with no damage to any attendant parts, but it's far easier to replace the rope than the cable. Easier still to reset the quick release clam cleat.

The cable will wear out over time. I get about two years out of mine, but I do sail a lot.

The smaller hole near the aft edge is where your haul-up rope connects. I run mine to a cam cleat at the transom. There is another hole that accommodates a bolt to hold the rudder up during trailering. I prefer just to use the haul-up rope.

I'll see if I can get down to the marina today to get some pics.

Also, while this is a great forum, there is one devoted exclusively to MacGregor boats at MacGregorSailors.com - Index page.

Congratulations, BTW. The 26S is a great design, sails fast, and is easy and affordable to care for.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020
OK. Pics.

First pic shows the haul-up line (red arrow) and hold-down cable (red circle). The cable does not stand out well from the water. Zoom in and you will see it and its attachment point on the rudder. Your rudder may look different, as mine is the after-market HDPE airfoil rudder. A recommended addition, by the way.

Second pic shows the line configuration with the rudder up. The haul-up line (red circle) is taut, cleated in the clam cleat. The hold-down line (red arrow) is resting to the side on top of the kicker.

Third pic shows the line configuration with the rudder down. The hold-up line (red circle) is loose. Tie your stop knot such that the slack line will not foul your kicker prop. The hold-down line is cleated in the quick-release clam cleat (red arrow). The hold-down cable should past aft of the tiller cable bolt so it doesn't rub against the top of the rudder tube

You may notice the little white block near the rudder post. That is there to keep the cable from rubbing against the tiller.

Attachments

Mar 26, 2023
Thank you i see that i don't have a hold down line. I will see if there is a place to hook it to the boat. Thank you for your response.

Apr 11, 2020
You are welcome, and glad to be of help.

If by "hook it to the boat" you mean attach it to the hull, I would advise against that. Leading it up through the rudder post as described - in addition to being the manner proscribed in the owner's manual - is the only way to put the rope at the end of the cable in a place where you can tension or release it, which you will want to be able to do during launching and haul-out.

The cable and rope assembly are available from Blue Water Yachts for $19 plus shipping. Get two while you are at it. Not included is the bolt that attaches the cable to the rudder. If your rudder does not have one, stainless steel bolt, washers, and nut - preferable a nut with a nylon locking insert - from your local hardware store will suffice.

The manual does not specify exactly how to secure the rope portion of the hold-down cable/rope assembly, but an inexpensive clam cleat like this one will work.

I like the quick-release clam cleat as it will protect the hold-down cable/rope assembly from breaking if the rudder strikes bottom. You may want to refer back to the photos I posted to get an idea of where on the tiller you will need to mount the clam cleat, but I would recommend you wait until you have the cable/rope hold-down installed and led up through the rudder tube before choosing a mounting point. I almost got mine too far aft.

BTW, a copy of the owner's manual can be download at this link.

Keep us posted on your sailing and ownership experience, and best of luck!

Mar 26, 2023
I see now what your talking about. leading it through the rudder, i didn't see it at first.

Mar 26, 2023
I had one guy say this looked like Thor's hammer. Not the stock Tiller and it covers up the hole in the post.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2020
Yes, that "Thor's Hammer" comment was from me in the PMs were were exchanging. I see what I suspect is the rudder hold-down rope attached to a clam cleat on the tiller, but I can't see how it makes its way down below the waterline to perform its function.