Holding tank

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 390 Middle River, MD
I have a Catalina 390, 2002 with a Raritan SeaEra Toilet that pulls sea water verses pressurized fresh water. We mainly sail in the northern half of the Chesapeake Bay. My issue is the holding tank which I believe holds 20 gallons, fills quickly. Fills within 24 hours with only 2 adults. I lowered a snake to check if I had accumulated debris in the bottom of the tank. It was clean. The vents are unobstructed. How can I regulate the amount of raw water draw into the head or is there another issue to consider. I did try closing the thru hull valve and pour fresh water into the toilet but it seemed to stain the pump. Also I close the valve when not in use and definately when away from boat. I would think we should get a weekend use without needing to pump out.

Thank you,

Wes

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I am no expert on that system but I would think the flow rate can be adjusted and not hurt the pump unless it was cut down too far. Check pump temp at each new setting to see that it stays cool. Best I can do. Chief

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The manual does not address how to control water flow?
Because that pump doesn't have any way to do it. Which leaves us with the most likely reasons why your tank is filling up so fast: 1. Your tank doesn't hold anywhere near 20 gallons....2. you're leaving your finger on the flush button way too long...3. Both.

Step 1. Measure your tank. If it's a rectangle, it's easy: L x W x H in inches X 231 (the number of cubic inches in a gallon). Since you're multiplying outside dimensions and Catalina specs a thickwalled (3/8") tank, you're gonna come out with a weird number...like 16.34652. round it down at least 2 to a whole number to get the useable capacity. If your tank isn't a rectangle, you're gonna need some math skills, but the same outside/inside useable capacity rules still apply.

Fwiw...the average adult uses the toilet 5 x /24 hrs. Average flush (waste and water): .6 gallons. That adds up to an AVERAGE of 3 gals/person/day going into the tank. ...two people, 6 gals/day.

2. A SeaEra should only need about .5 gal (2 liters) water/flush. You should only use that much if you only leave your finger on the flush button for 3 seconds after urine only, 7 seconds after solid waste and/or TP. Use a cup to add about a quart of water from the sink to the bowl ahead of solids.

If you need more flush water than that to clear the bowl, we need to talk to find out why...and I'll be glad to help you do that. Email me and we'll find a mutually agreeable day and time .

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 390 Middle River, MD
Would it have a negative affect on the pump if I poured a cup of fresh water into the head and closed the they hull valve?

Wes

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Would it have a negative affect on the pump if I poured a cup of fresh water into the head and closed the they hull valve? Wes
That depends on whether your remote intake pump is an electric diaphragm pump or is an impeller pump. If it's an impeller pump, running it without putting any water through it will "fry" the impeller. But if it's a diaphragm pump, you can run it dry on a limited basis without harm, but it's not good for diaphragm pumps to run dry all the time. If you need to do that longer than just to test, I suggest you disconnect the electric to that pump so that flushing will only run the discharge pump and macerator in the toilet. Use more than a cupful except for urine only, though....solids and paper need water to dissolve and get to the tank.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Peggie's right, I missed the electric part. Ignore my last post.