Holding Tank Vent Hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have a seeking suspicion that I am getting some odors in my boat from my holding tank vent hose. I want to replace it.

West Marine is just down the street but the boat is 1.5 hours away.

What is the length and hose size I need? Any other suggestions on what type of hose to get or other tips?

All the other hoses in my holding tank have been previously replaced. This vent hose is tacky to the touch and it needs to go!

May 23, 2004
My boat is a 1990 Catalina 30 MKii hull number 5800. Holding tank is under the port setti and vents through a stanchion that has the attachment in the head. The path of the hose runs up through the holding tank, through the front storage area by the bulkhead/wall between the main cabin and the holding tank, through another storage area and then through the bulkhead to the stanchion attachment. I am guessing the run is less than 7'

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Peggie has mentioned this 5 zillion times. 5/8" hose. That's all Catalina and many other boat builders use. Buy 8 feet, and have fun trimming both ends! :) That's the way I'd do it, except I'd trim in the middle first and wonder &^&%$!@@#$%$????

Jan 6, 2010
Bad,

How are you pal?

I’m not sure the odors you are getting are from your holding tank. Unless, your water may be sour. I do know that between uses, gases form in the top section hose interior. When first turning water pressure on, you may get a few seconds of odor, but that is the system purging these gases.

When you first open your boat up, use the nose test and check around for the source of odor before turning anything on. Secondly, what odors do you smell? Fresh water and waste tank are very different. Best to have a non-smoker come in and smell around. Their sense of smell is very good.

If you are getting a foul odor, I would also check the waste tank, the head pump as seals break down, & odor will escape. After time & from use of tank treatments, you may be getting odor leaching thru your hoses.

Or, if not finding the culprit, you can try what I use. I use liquid pool chlorine in my fresh water tanks. Bleach is too acidic, and will leach the inside hose walls. It will also corrode some plastic fittings.

I use only two capfuls for each tank and my fresh water can sit for long periods while smelling good. Don't use granule pool chlorine as this leaves residue in the tank bottom. I would drain your tanks, while refilling them, I would shock the system with 2 oz. chlorine/each tank, & than run about 5 gallons thru the faucet. Let it sit for about 4 hours. Keep turning on the water pressure switch to keep full pressure in your hoses. The chlorine should help clean the top areas of the hoses.

Turn on the pressure and run all the water out until your pump is sucking air. Fill & flush twice. Finally fill them as normal with a small amount of liquid pool chlorine.

If you try this, let me know if it works for you. I live in HOT Florida, & have been doing this for about ten years, and I never get an odor. A few friends use this same technique and agree it works.

CR

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Alright Captron, I'll give the chlorine a try. I've chased that odor thing back and forth and the fresh water tank is the only other source that has not been scrubbed, scoured, purged, and/or purified. I did finally decide those tank treatments from WestMarine suck foul wind and the cheap RV one from Academy works great. Yeah, I know, live and learn.

May 23, 2004
The odor is when you open up the cabin. It is an odd smell. The fresh water system isn't too bad on my boat except when the hot water tank sits for a while. With use it cleans out fast.

The hose is due for replacement. If it doesn't solve the odor it still needs replacing. If I am lucky it will fix it!

Oct 15, 2008
Catalina 30 Mexico
If the outlet at the stanchion is clogged (a small hole at the bottom) then you are not getting the venting. Also, if you are flushing with salt water, and leave water in the bottom of the toilet, or in the lines, it will go bad in a week and smell up the boat when you return. We always use salt water to flush, but flush with fresh water (couple of cheap plastic valves, using sink basin full of fresh water) before leaving the boat for a while. We leave fresh water in our tanks for 6 months without it going bad, but then use it only for washing until it is replaced.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bad O, get in the habit of using the hot water faucets even if you don't have hot water in the tank. It keeps the water moving thru the hw heater and reduces and in our case has eliminated that issue.

Is your bilge clean?

Others: Peggie has posted her water tank recommissioning instructions so many times that it should be easy to find with a search on her forum. I've linked to it so many times I'm getting tired of doing it for ya all. Peggie, why not make it a sticky on your forum?

May 23, 2004
I always flush with fresh water and I won't let the funky Potomac River water sit in my head hoses when I am gone.

I have cleaned out that stanchion a few times. I am going to replace the hose and clean it out again. Hopefully that is the answer.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Peggy recomends that you put a plastic through hull fitting right below the rail in the side and eliminate the small opening in the external vent ....just something to consider ...she says it cuts down on the vent getting clogged....and from what i have read she is pretty dead set against the small orfaces that the stantion vents and the clam shell vents have ...

regards

woody

Status
Not open for further replies.