Holding tank sanitation hoses

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Does anyone know where I can get Raritan SaniFlex hose in Canada? The only place I can find is Marine Outfittersand they want $27.99/ft!!?! My local store has Trident 101 for $11.99/ft or Shields 101 for $9.20/ft. I have a fair bit if room so I don't really need the flexibility, I may just go with the Trident 101. I just thought the SaniFlex would be easier to install but for a few hundred bucks . There is currently smelly old Trident VAC XHD, yes, it smells bad in there.
This is the mess I need to get rid of. The hose on the upper left comes from the head then up to a vented loop :facepalm: then to the tank. On the right there is a macerator and a hand pump for pumping out the tank, neither of which are connected to the thru hull since I'm inland. I'm going to chuck it all, go straight from the head to the tank and then straight from the tank to the pump out fitting. The vent hose needs to be replaced as well.
20200529_140751.jpg

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Try emailing Tim at Harbour Chandler, Nanaimo, BC. I see it listed at about $23/ft. Free shipping over $100 and no pst. He may get a better price than that and maybe drop ship it to you.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Ottowa is so close to the border that it would make a lot of sense for you get a US mailing/shipping address in the closest US town (Massena NY is only a 90 minute drive according to google maps) You'd be able to buy from US sources for a lot less because Canadian retailers have to pay the same "international" shipping charges and surcharges that buyers do when you order anything from the US retailers....and you get stuff a lot sooner.

Fwiw, Defender has Raritan SaniFlex for < $9/ft. Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender

--Peggie

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
No matter what hose you use, it will start smelling again. This mess is a great candidate for replacing hoses with pvc tubing. Use 1 1/4" pvc and rubber connections between tank and tube.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Yes, the border is closed right now. I have had deliveries to a place in Ogdensburg which is about an hour from here. It saves a lot in shipping and brokerage fees. I was hoping to get that job done soon but could wait another month. The Defender price is very good.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I forgot about the border closing, but that's a temporary problem. And not only does a US shipping address save a lot in shipping costs and fees, you also get what you order in days instead of weeks.

No matter what hose you use, it will start smelling again
That's not true. There are at least 3 that won't:

Trident 101/102 (identical except for color...101 is black, 102 has a white "skin" on it) has been on the market for more than 20 years without a single reported odor permeation failure...nor have I heard of any that could be verified. It just has one major drawback: it's as stiff as an ironing board, making it suitable only for long straight runs unless you want to mess with inserting a bunch of in-line radius fittings...which you'd also have to do using hard PVC. Price: $7-9/ft.

Shields puts a lifetime warranty on their PolyX hose. Because 10 years is the average working life of ANY hose (plastics and rubber dry out over time becoming hard, brittle and prone to cracking and splitting), I'm guessing that's their definition of "lifetime." It has such a high price tag that too few people are using it for me to know. Lowest price I've found--and that's for a 25' coil of 1"--is $14/ft.

Raritan's SaniFlex hose has been on the market for 10 years now without a single reported odor permeation or any other kind of failure. I haven't heard of any either and I'm sure I would have. Available by the foot many places for +/- $10/ft

So sanitation hose is like a lot of other things...spend a bit more now to do it once, or spend even more replacing it several times.

--Peggie

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I will second Peggies Raritan SaniFlex hose. Replaced all my head hoses with the stuff..... great to work with..... very bendable! And it looks cool imo.

good luck
Greg