Holding tank of Catalina 400 1995

Aug 15, 2016
Catalina 400 Midland, ontario
We purchased a Catalina 400 from the states, and the holding tank for the main head had been removed and a salt water discharge system had been installed which although approved by the US Coast Guard it is not permitted in the Great Lakes. We are currently using the forward head which does have an 18 gallon holding tank, but have been unable to locate a tank for the main head. We would appreciate if anyone has a suggestion as to where we might obtain an holding tank for this boat.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Ronco Plastics (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) ...you'll find their all their contact information in their catalog here Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog ...has supplied water and waste tanks to Catalina for several decades...if you give them the year and model specifics for your boat, along with which tank you need, they should be able to supply you with an identical replacement for the original. They also install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank, so if you think you can improve on Catalina's choices, they'll put 'em where you want 'em. And one thing I'd definitely change is the size of the vent...1" instead of the "standard" 5/8" used on all water, fuel and waste.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Call Catalina Yachts, they can have one made for you to spec for your hull. I bought a fuel tank from them, was within a few $ of after market tanks and no worries if it would fit.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Aug 15, 2016
Thanks for the responses to the post I will follow up with the suggestions made. My main concern was trying to find a tank that would fit the location once we remove the salt discharge system and the central vac, which are taking up valuable space.
I appreciate your comments and the speed of the response.

Aug 15, 2016
I contacted Ronco and they need to know the actual size of the tank.. I understand in looking at their listing of tanks that I need the Letter and three digits from the tank before ordering the new tank. I don't have the old tank and would appreciate if someone out there on a Catalina 400 1995 could look and send me the serial number from the aft holding tank.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I contacted Ronco and they need to know the actual size of the tank.. I understand in looking at their listing of tanks that I need the Letter and three digits from the tank before ordering the new tank. I don't have the old tank and would appreciate if someone out there on a Catalina 400 1995 could look and send me the serial number from the aft holding tank.
You're gonna have to be a bit more proactive than this. The mold numbers in their catalog will not include your tank. Call Catalina...if that tank is still propietary to them, they won't give you the mold # or dimensions, but they will let you order a replacement from them.

Aug 15, 2016
I have catalina looking into this as well, and they are going to check and see if they have a tank that would fit. Ronco said that they can manufacture a tank if I give them the size and angles. Thanks again for your suggestion, it may come down to having to take the measurements and prepare a detailed diagram as a regular rectangle tank would not fit.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
it may come down to having to take the measurements and prepare a detailed diagram as a regular rectangle tank would not fit.
Have you looked at the Ronco catalog? Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog None of the existing builders' proprietary molds are included, but they do have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, with drawings for all of them--maybe even your tank if Catalina has released it--and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. Their drawings can be oriented any direction because there is no top or bottom until the fittings go in, and you specify where they go.

Aug 15, 2016
The simple answer is Yes, they are probably who we will end up going through, but waiting to hear from Catalina as to whether they have a tank in their inventory. I appreciate the assistance you have given to my post.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Catalina won't have any tanks specific to 20 yr old boats--or any models no longer in production--just sitting around taking up inventory space in case somebody needs one...no company can afford to do that. What they're searching for, and MAY be able to give you is their proprietary mold number to give to Ronco. If they no longer have it in their records, you'll have find the closest fit in the Ronco catalog. I'd start looking now if I were you.

Dec 9, 2019
Catalina 400 Bristol
We purchased a Catalina 400 from the states, and the holding tank for the main head had been removed and a salt water discharge system had been installed which although approved by the US Coast Guard it is not permitted in the Great Lakes. We are currently using the forward head which does have an 18 gallon holding tank, but have been unable to locate a tank for the main head. We would appreciate if anyone has a suggestion as to where we might obtain an holding tank for this boat.
The aft head tank is a Ronco B352.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
My dock neighbor has a C40 1995. I can ask him to look into it but it looks like the above post, as well as Peggys suggestions, will give you the info you need to get started. Congrats on the new boat.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Y'all need to pay more attention to the date of the last post in a thread before jumping into it...this one started and ended 4 years ago!

--Peggie

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Have you looked at the Ronco catalog? Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog None of the existing builders' proprietary molds are included, but they do have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, with drawings for all of them--maybe even your tank if Catalina has released it--and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. Their drawings can be oriented any direction because there is no top or bottom until the fittings go in, and you specify where they go.
That link to Ronsco doesn’t work...at least for me...

But this takes you to their website...

or their marine catalogue (pdf)...

Greg