Holding Tank Odor

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray

I am getting a slight odor from what I think is my holding tank. My head does not smell, but the port lockers in the cockpit have the odor. I recently pumped it out and put a gallon of bleach in it along with a gallon of fresh water, but one the bleach evaporated it started up again. Some folks I saw on the dock recommended I replace "the filter", but looking in the owners manual and on the plumbing diagram there is no mention of one. Is there a product I can use that will fix this? Thanks Ray

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
There isn't a filter...

There are no filters on the sanitation system. Nor do you want one. They may be referring to the filters that can be put on the tank vent. Those are nothing but trouble! They provide the perfect place for debris to collect and clog your vent. Try using Raritan K.O. or Odorlos after rinsing out the tank. Also, make sure your vent is not blocked by spiders or any other debris. I always use a water hose and run water over the vent while the tank is being pumped out. This sucks water through the vent to help rinse it out every time and verifies that the vent is not blocked. Just be carefull to not spray water in the fuel vent.

B

Bill

Smell

I don’t have a C310 yet, but a head is a head is a head. Check all of the items in the other posts. But not a good idea to use bleach. You are killing off the bacteria that break down your waste. If the bacteria are doing their job you shouldn’t have a problem. There are many products that help the bacteria long. When we clean the head we use biodegradable cleaner instead of bleach. You didn’t say what type of water you are sailing in. But salt water is the worst with smells. We keep a few old coke bottles with fresh water and that’s what we flush with. Some good info here: http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/menunew.tpl?fno=31

R

Ray

Thanks

Did not think about the bacteria. Never thought about hosing down the vent. Will try the odorlos. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.