Holding tank inlet relocation

Mar 15, 2016
Hunter 37.5 Seattle WA
Hello all. I’ve struggled with backflow into my manual pump Jabsco head for several years. Replacing the joker valve works OK for awhile but I’d like to make it a little better. Last weekend coming back home from 4 days out with a tank maybe 3/4 full, we ran into a bit of a blow and sailed for an hour or so on port tack at 20° + heel. we ended up with several inches of very smelly tank contents in the shower bilge. The top of my tank is about 12” above the head discharge. The discharge line has a direct routing with no overboard y-valves and no loops. Problem is that it empties into the tank on the starboard side wall so on a port tack, the discharge hose is exposed to the full brunt of the tank. My first thought was to put a loop in the line but I can only get it about 4” higher than the tank without significant cabinet surgery. Reading lots of these forum posts, Peggy has convinced me I do not need a vented loop and may not need a loop at all, the real solution is to move the tank inlet to the other side so it’s close to the boat centerline.
Which brings me to my question. It seems I have 2 options to move the discharge interface. The obvious one is to plug the existing port and make a new one on the top (I have no room on the port side) using one of those spiffy Uniseal fitting and a 90° elbow. But wouldn’t it be simpler to just use the existing hole,remove the fitting, upsize it for a Uniseal fitting then install a section of rigid 1.5” pvc pipe into the tank with its end inside the tank near the far wall (near boat centerline)? This Puts the real discharge location where I want it but it seems to easy so I must be missing something. Thoughts and advice please.
Thanks!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It can't be as easy as rotating the tank 180 degrees, can it? My 2 cents.

Mar 15, 2016
Hunter 37.5 Seattle WA
Made me think on that! The pump out/macerator and vent fittings are both on the starboard side also and relocation them to flip the tank would be more difficult than just relocating the inlet fitting. Thanks for the idea though.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Made me think on that! The pump out/macerator and vent fittings are both on the starboard side also and relocation them to flip the tank would be more difficult than just relocating the inlet fitting. Thanks for the idea though.
Dang, there goes my incentive bonus:huh:

Mar 15, 2016
Hunter 37.5 Seattle WA
Peggy, thanks for responding and I’m glad you asked because that was a concern I had but I didn’t know how much room I’d need. I only have 3.75” clearance. I was hopeful that I could find a low profile elbow to fit. Any thoughts on my other idea? I’m not sure how clearly I described it. I can try to sketch it up if that would help.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I dunno if low profile elbows exist, but it's worth searching for. I'll search too!

But wouldn’t it be simpler to just use the existing hole,remove the fitting, upsize it for a Uniseal fitting then install a section of rigid 1.5” pvc pipe into the tank with its end inside the tank near the far wall (near boat centerline)? This Puts the real discharge location where I want it but it seems to easy so I must be missing something.
You lost me with that. Why would you need to upsize a fitting that's already 1.5"? I think we need to talk. Send me a PM and I'll reply with my phone number.

--Peggie