Hold Fast is in the water!

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
I finally got her in the water almost 2 weeks ago. The process was fraught with difficulties but she's in and not sinking!

I wanted the yard to replace the stuffing boxes on the prop shaft and the rudder shaft. They did the prop shaft early but waiting till launch date on 5/16 to work on the rudder shaft packing. That's when they could easily drop the rudder.

I joined them on 5/16 so I could drive her the 250 hundred yards to her berthing. When they dropped the rudder, they found that the nut was really rusted and leaky. They were able weld it up, but we lost that day.

The next day I was not able to go up but they got her in the water. The depth transducer was leaking and needed rebedded, so there goes another day to bed and one more to dry.

I called them Thursday afternoon, and found out that she was launched and delivered to the berth. So, Thursday night I'm having nightmares of her sinking to the bottom of the marina! Friday, I decided to drive the hour and a half after work to check her out to make sure everything was is closed up properly.

Over the next two weekends, I installed the boom, replaced all the running rigging, scrubbed the deck, raised the sails and tried a couple docking attempts. This coming weekend, I hope to do some more docking and take her out under engine power to see what going through the draw bridge is like.

Happy sailing everyone!

Attachments