Hoisting the Headsail

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
Hi folks! New Cat-30 tall-rig/bowsprit/wing keel here.
When recovering from Ian, I was hoisting the jib and found it very difficult to do so. It went up smoothly, but with a LOT of resistance. So much so that I was afraid of doing damage. Is this normal? Does anyone know of a way to relieve the resistance?
Thank you!
Frank

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
Roller furling or hank-on?
It's roller-furling. I just found another related post which indicates this is common. :( I'll be replacing the sails next year, so I'll make sure the correct sizes are used.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
+1 for McLube. Also make sure the sail has a good angle of entry into the track. If it’s coming in from too far back and needs to make a sharp turn that adds a lot to the friction.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You boat received a lot of wind. This can loosen the rigging. Suggest you snug up the backstay. This will tension the forestay. Straighten out the furler extrusion and ease the raising of the foresail. Using the sailkote lube will let the sail slip through the groove.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Lots of things could cause the problem. Clean and lube the track as above. Check the feed angle and feeder for tangles, jams, etc.. Are you using a which? Check that the winch itself isn't causing drag. Inspect the luff for damage or dirt.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Clean and lube the bolt rope track on your furler. It does wonders. For most Furlers, you need to pay close attention to how well you feed it into the track. If the feed angle is off then it'll catch and be difficult to pull up