High winds

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CO Editorial

61% of responding Catalina owners have never sailed winds in excess of 40 knots, according to last week's Quick Quiz. If you're a skipper who's ventured out into a blow, how did your boat perform? Was it stiff enough, could you reef it into submission? Would you feel confident doing it again? Blow your opinions by us right here.

P

PJ Walchenbach

35 knots

This Saturday I left the marina on my Cat 36 with my 13 year old son as crew. The wind was only 15 kts from the south and as we headed for a proctected bay on the north end of an island 9+ miles away. About 1/2 way there the wind picked up to a steady 28 - 32 and peaked at 35. The main (tall rig) was not reefed. The 135% headsail was rolled a little bit. When reaching became uncomfortable we jibed the headsail to port and put up the whisker pole. With the main prevented down hard and the geneo poled out on the opposite side, we ran down wind with ever increasing speeds. The waves got bigger and looked as if there were going to flood the cockpit. As we rocketed along we began to catch the big waves in front of us. The bow would bury, the anchor and fordeck disappearing under water as we plowed through and then up on top of 10-12 foot waves. Then on top of the wave, with the wind blowing full strength, we surfed down the front of the wave into the next troth. Our max speed through the water was 10.4 knots--honest! When we arrived at the bay (Port Madison) we shortened the pole, rolled up the headsail (had to use the winch) and tacked into our anchorage. I have yet to see 40 but 35 was a lot of fun.

H

Hayden Watson

40+ with first time guests

A few weeks ago I had a planned day trip with my pastor and his wife. neither of them had ever been sailing before. The weather forecast was for 40 knots with gusts to 55. I sail on Lake Coeur D'Alene in Idaho. We can get strong wind but seldom much wave. The harbor master told me I was nuts to go out in that wind with an experianced and just plain stupid with first timers. The long and short of it was that we had a great time. We sailed mostly on a broad reach with just a touch of the roller furled jib out. We made a comfortable 6 knts.. P.S. At the end of the day my guests had such a good time that they asked if I would like to charter a boat in the Florida Keys with them next year. Hayden Watson S/V Papillon Spokane, WA

W

wes

30-35

i had my cat 30 in 30-35 knot winds coming home from an overnight trip with some friends.none of them had ever sailed before.she handled it very well, wing and wing.full main and 110% genoa. a couple times i would have liked some help,but crew was seasick (in the bay) and to hungover to be of any use.i had an absolute blast.would have liked to reef the main to lessen the load on both my rigging and myself.surfed all the way back to port.next time i will reef and have crew that can help.thats my story,i would like to hear from some others. wes s/v freda kemah,tx

A

Aclark

High winds/lake Erie

My Friend and I sail his Cat 30-Wind Song on Lake Erie.We sail a couple of times a year 5-6 day stretches and always run into a day or two of 30 knot winds with 8-10 ft waves. Reefed down and with a 110 furled headsail the cat 30 is a dream to sail even with two other invited crew on board that got seasick..

Status
Not open for further replies.