Hi there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Pickton

My name is Brian Pickton and I have been asked to moderate the BeneteauOwners.net web site. It's always nice to be able to put something back into an activity that I get so much out of. I don't consider myself an expert sailor, but I am a skilled enthusiast and keen student and have a small amount of experience. I have also found the Beneteau owners I've met to be a pretty friendly and helpful group, as are the dealers, so I look forward to moderating the site for you. The usual rules will apply: no flamers or rude language will be posted, but a frank exchange of views are always welcome. Oh yes, and no trade names. A little background. I was born in Nova Scotia, Canada. Like the character in the Jimmy (All You Can Eat For a $1.49) Buffet tune, I'm the son of the son of a sailor. My father was in the Canadian navy and his father had been a commercial fishermen. With all of that background you would think I had learned to sail early in life, but I didn't learn to sail until I was thirty - maybe because they were both power boaters. Like most forces brats, we traveled a lot. How did we get to be here living on our boat in the Caribbean? Life dealt us a lemon and we've used it to make lemonade. She Who Must Be Obeyed (at least that's what it says on her T-shirt) summarizes it this way: 'We went to school for 20 years, we worked for 20 years, and now were going to take 20 years off!' The reality was that we were both lawyers (don't go into cardiac arrest - we're actually recovering lawyers, there's a 12 step programme) and when I got sick with what ultimately were diagnosed as two different lung diseases. The options were dragging around an oxygen bottle leading to a double lung transplant or move to a cleaner environment, like an island in the Caribbean. The best choice according to my doctor would be to live on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Well here we are, living on a boat in the middle of the ocean next to a Caribbean island. You can't beat that with a stick. By the way, my health is fine, thank you. I really enjoyed practicing law, and at the time felt pretty hard done by. As a lifestyle though, living on a boat in the tropics is better than being a high powered lawyer any day. Way, way better. In fact, it‚s better than anything I can think of as a lifestyle. So how did we come to buy a Beneteau? After doing a lot of research on paper I had concluded that a catamaran was the perfect boat for us. That's right, a catamaran. The plan was to buy a Privilege 48 and go into the charter boat business while my health recovered. I had planned to buy the boat in France and sail it to the Caribbean. Then Privilege called and said they would be bringing one to the Annapolis boat show, so we decided to wait a few more months and do that instead. We went to Annapolis and liked the cat, but the price had gone up $75,000.00 while we waited, and that was enough to break the bank. We spent a day pouting and then waddled back to the boat show to see what else was on offer. That's when we found the Beneteau display and fell in love with the Clipper 51 model. Have you ever noticed that you can spend 20 minutes dithering over which wine to order with a meal, but will make a decision that changes your life in under a minute? See how long it takes you to read this sentence: 'The cost of the Clipper is within spitting distance of the cat, so we can't afford it either, but a used Beneteau might be within reach.' So we did a little more research. My personal requirement was that the boat had to be a good sailer, a good sea keeper. I was impressed by what I learned about Beneteaus, particularly the First series, often referred to as the cruiser-racer series. These boats had a reputation as good sailors and have the PHRF numbers to prove it. As a builder that put a lot of boats into charter fleets, Beneteau had learned to make their boats strong and durable and the systems accessible. And as for anesthetics, well there are no good, ugly, sailboats, are there? In 1993 we wound up with a First 456 model and I would buy it again in a heart beat. The boat has exceeded my every hope and expectation for it. We bought the boat in Florida and trucked it to the Pacific Northwest, to Point Roberts, Washington. This cut the commute down from a 7000 mile round trip to a paltry 1700 miles. We were driving that on long weekends getting the boat ready to leave. We sailed in the northwest and finally pulled the pin and sailed away four years ago. Since then we've cruised down the west coast of the United States, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama, through the canal to the San Blas Islands, along the coasts of Columbia and Venezuela, through the ABC islands to Trinidad and Tobago, and up the island chain past Grenada, St. Vincent and the Grenadines to St. Lucia and Martinique. Right now we plan to base out of St. Lucia and when we finally swallow the hook may even settle here, but that won't be for many years to come. It's taken us four years to get here, we're not slow...just thorough! I look forward to trying to help you with your inquiries about Beneteau's and meeting all of the Beneteau owners who come through St. Lucia - see you on the water! Brian

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hi Brian!

Man, I love your resume! And I wouldn't mind your life, either. I look forward to your contributions here. Thanks for joining us!

C

Charlie Gruetzner

welcome Brian

Nice to have you aboard and I look forward to your input. Welcome Charlie Gruetzner S/V Angels' Grace B361

B

Brian Pickton

Thanks for the Welcome!

N0v.2,2000 Dear Charlie and Phil, Hey guys thanks for the welcome. Phil, on the lifestyle; you know its not that expensive: through central America we had change left from a $1,000.00 bill each month. And we've met many cruisers doing it on that size budget. Of course the less time you spend in marinas and the more time you spend cruising and at anchor the cheaper it is. There are very few marinas south of Aculpulco to the Panama Canal. I can only think of three and they're pretty minimal in terms of facilities. Elsewhere expenses run around $1500.00 a month, and of course you can always find ways to spend more. $2,000 a month would be fat city here in the Caribbean where we are. Enough about that - I look forward to chatting with you "down the line" as the cruisers say. Brian Pickton@BeneteauOwners.net Aboard the Legend Rodney Bay St.Lucia

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Another Welcome Aboard!

This is another "Welcome Aboard", Brian, it'll be good to have someone to help keep things moving and provide input. That was a really impressive resume, too. In '93 there was a couple who bought a 36 footer in Vancouver BC, learned to sail, and took off down the coast, through the canal, and sailed up to Nova Scotia. Also, I find the early Viking history of the Nova Scotia area very interesting. Because you and the "one who must be obeyed" are both lawyer types I thought you might appreciate this. Our daughter went off to colege and wound up graduating with a degree in english. In her senior year she finally figured out that there wasn't a lot of good job choice available (we'd been trying to tell her this ever since she switched majors). She got married in her senior year and because of her husbands business I suggested she go to law school. She applied for the University of Washington Law School which had a fairly low admission rate and one day she called me up all happy and bubbling over. "Guess what daddy?!" Well, I don't know what to say to this question, so I answered "What?" She said that she was accepted (!!), and remember, daddy, you promised not to tell any more lawyer jokes!" At this point daddy is thinking things over really fast (important moment in life) as this has some potential for taking some of the fun out of life so I quickly answered "I don't remember that. Did you get it in writing?". Because she is fairly thin-skinned we do keep it to a minimum. One of these days we hope to go out the Strait of Juan de Fuca and turn south and the Carribean, Great Britain, and Scandinavia are areas we'd like to go to. Good luck in your new moderating career!

B

Brian Pickton

Thanks

Nov.11,2000 Dear John Thanks for the welcome. I've read a number of your posts and it is always pleasant to read input from a fellow enthusiast. Your daughter is going to find practicing law is a lot easier but longer hours than lwa school. And as for lawyer jokes, never forget they tell client jokes! Having come this far a European tour is definitely in our future plans once we fatten up the cruising kitty for the higher expenses involved in Europe. Never forget you can make that dream a reality. I look forward to "talking" with you more. Brian Pickton@BeneteauOwners.net Aboard the Legend. Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

N

Nelson Ramirez

Thanks

Response to Would you buy an Oceanis 320 1988?: To Brian Pickton Submitted by Nelson Ramirez of British Virgin Islands on 11/12 at 06:58AM regarding General_interest Dear Brian; People like you is what makes worthwhile the cybernet space. I appreciate your time and effort for what you have done for me. In relation to the equipment that comes with the boat, there is a list that does not appear in the site. Most of the equipment recomended by you I already have from my former boat (Hunter 34, 1986). Accordingly with your recomedations the bottom line of the equipment I need is the storm jib, water maker, change the fuel tank or add another to the capacity needed (If the space to install it is available). The stove you saw is a two burner propane gas. My main concerned was if the boat was strong enough for offshore cruising. In relation to the engine probably I will changed it eventually. I made an offer of 20 % off the asking price, I dont know if that is too low for them to accept the offer. But any way, for the budget I have there is no a better deal in this area. Again, thanks very much for every thing, you have a cybernet friend in me. I hope some day I may reciprocate you. ( my E-mail is N_RAMIREZ@upr.edu)

B

Brian Pickton

Now that sounds better

Nov. 14, 2000 Dear Nelson, Buenos dias, amigo , como esta? (I'm afraid my Spanish isn't as extensive as I would like). Nice to hear from you again. Now what you've written seems a whole lot better than the first look I took at the boat. I was especially glad to hear about that extra equipment list, which makes the pricing for you much more reasonable. As for the model's general seaworthiness I have no qualms. In these ever litiguous days no manufacturer in the U.S. is going to allow an unseaworthy boat out the door.Make sure you give the rigging a close inspection. I'm glad to here that stove is propane, you will be a lot happier with it then an alcohol unit and you can put up with a 2 burner propane unit for a while and see how you like it and even if you need to upgrade. Both She Who Must Be Obeyed and I like to cook, thus we have a 3 burner unit. Don't overlook the possibility of upgrading the fuel tankage using a flexible tank, they work fine but they have to be well secured. If there is space you can consider removing the old tank and plumbing in a new hard tank (not made of mild steel - no point in adding rust to the equation) which is the best solution or strapping in and supporting a flexible tank, which is a cheaper solution. A water maker can wait - you can always catch water using a tarp or a heavy plastic sheet ( we use both.) But when you get one get a good one, not something that dribbles out a couple of gallons an hour. Consider 18 gallons an hour a minmum. On the power front have you considered solar panels? We're really pleased with the performance of our 2 105 watt BP solar panels. As you know, just because I don't like volvo marine diesels doesn't mean you have to charge out and change the motor, either. If it has reached the end of its useful life and repairs and upkeep are getting too expensive and time consuming, then its time for a change. I know everyone likes Yanmars (so do I) but before you commit to one for a replacement you should also look at Isuzu, which have a great reliablility record with the offshore tuna fleet. There going 40 - 50,000 hours between rebuilds. You should check some of the used sail places for a storm jib or look at the possibility of making your own from a kit, which is a real good boat project. Our storm jib has a wire luff so that I can set it flying using the spinnaker pole topping lift for a halyard and the anchor cleat to secure the tack end of the sail. It works great balancing the boat when were double and triple reefed in heavey going. Keep me posted Nelson - I want to here how things go with you and your offer on the boat. Brian Pickton@BeneteauOwners.Net Aboard the Legend, Rodney Bay, St.Lucia

D

David Cassidy (s/v Percival)

Hello Brian!

Just wanted to drop you guys a note and let you know i will be back in the caribbean in december. After working in CA. for the last eight months i am chomping at the bit to get back to Trinidad and head up island. Hope all is well with you two and i am looking forward to our paths crossing again in the near future! David

B

Brian Pickton

Glad to hear from you!

Nov.29, 2000 Hi David, We remember Percival and the fun we all had at carnival. Great to here from you! We'll be in St. Lucia for a while so when you sail up island come find us at slip A 42 in Rodney Bay Marina and we'll hoist a cervesa or three! Brian Pickton @BeneteauOwners.net Aboard The Legend, Rodney Bay ,St. Lucia

N

Nelson Ramirez

I 'm back, I think with a good deal

Hola Brian! ¿Cómo estás? Espero, que muy bien al igual que tu familia. Remember I offered 20% off the asking price for the Beneteau 320 ? Well, they only accepted 15%. But, I still think is a good price. The deal includes to put back the boat in acceptable conditions, accordingly with the survey recomendations. I hope that every thing will come ok! Probably I'll see you one of this days in St. Lucia! Nelson

B

Brian Pickton

Well done Nelson!

Dec. 11,2000 Hola amigo, como esta? She Who Must Be Obeyed is fine, thank you. Congratulations on your purchase, what a great Christmas present! Looks like you've done very well on the price, now make sure you watch them like a hawk to make sure the work gets done. Sounds like a good deal to me. When you get down here look for me on dock A -42. Felice Navidad! Brian Pickton @ BeneteauOwners.net, Aboard the Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

M

Michael Donohue

Prospective Beneteau Owner

Brian I came upon your message as website moderator and found it inspiring. Good to see that unfortunate ill health can become a catalyst for adopting a new and better lifestyle. I have sailed a 26' cruiser/racer on the West coast of Ireland for the past 2 years before which I sailed a 14' dinghy. I would now like to upgrade to a 30 footer or so and have narrowed the options to the First 30e (built 81-85) or the First 32. My requirements are club racing and weekend Coastal cruising along this coast which can be challenging at times. Have 3 boys and 'her below' who have all shown varying levels of interest in sailing. I have located a few examples of the above boats for sale in France and The Netherlands and hope to view them soon. My questions are as follows: Can anyone offer the benefit of their experience on the First 30e and in particular comparisons with other models e.g. F305 and F32. Can anyone offer advice on buying in Europe or locations of First 30e for sale in this region. Has anyone ever purchased in The Carribean and shipped to Europe? Good luck with your moderating and I lookforward to contributing as a real Beneteau Owner. md

B

Brian Pickton

Thanks for the kind words

Dec.16, 2000 Dear Micheal, Thanks for the kind words, it is a great life style, especially when compared to practicing law. No money in it, but I've got my health and that's the main thing. As for yourself, I agree with you that club racing is where it's at as far as fun sailing is concerned. And to sail the Irish Sea man, that's the stuff that dreams are made of. I also think the best bang for the buck as far as sailboats are concerned is found in the 28 foot to 31 foot range with boats that are 15 to 20 years old, so I have a special affection for this group of boats. Your picking an excellent boat for a club racer as far as I'm concerned. If you want to see some more boats in your size range check out www.yachtworld.com which has extensive listings in the Caribbean, Europe, and North America. I haven't seen the F30e model you refer to but I know the F305 and F32 and if those were my choices I would definitely plumb for the F32. The greater beam (11' + ) and LOA gives it a much roomier feel below, the head is larger and the galley has a bit more storage space. There's a dedicated nav station, a great convenience. I also found the saloon area a bit roomier as well and those are the things that concern She Who Must Be Obeyed. Prices on the 305 start around U.S.$28,000.00 and for the F32 around U.S. $39,000.00. As for for shipping, there are a couple of companies that specialize in yacht transfers across the Atlantic with specially built carrier vessels that routinely ship from the Caribbean to Europe. The price for a 40 footer was around 6000 British pounds if I recall. Smaller vessels are of course less. I went to get you the email address and have misplaced it, but if your interested in persuing this option I'm sure I can find it for you with a bit more effort. Just let me know. Good luck on the hunt and keep us posted on how it goes. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours from me and She. Brian Pickton @BeneteauOwners.net Aboard the Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia.

B

Brian Pickton

Found it, Micheal

Dec.18, 2000 Dear Micheal, Found it. I just had to look a little harder. The two companies I was referring to were: Atlantic Yacht Shipping, e-mail:< ays@atlanticyachtshipping.com > and the other is Dockwise Yacht Transport, Telephone: 0596 74 15 07 Fax: 0596 74 15 08. They have email and it may be: < nadine.massady@wanadoo.fr > but the writing is a little difficult to make out. Fair Winds, Brian Pickton@BeneteauOwners.net Aboard The Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

Status
Not open for further replies.