Hey I'm Pissed (kinda)

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
Dude, it doesn't mean you have to sell your boat!!! :cool:

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
I was expecting Chris or Hersh to pick up on that and give me hell.

I don't want to sell her and hope I don't, in a way, but it is driving me crazy how many things are getting in the way of my sailing. I figure in 10 years, if Obama doesn't kill my retirement, I'll be able to do it better, do it right!

But if I do find someone willing to take her off my hands....
Actually you are right, it is all Patrick's fault! :lol: easier that way -

Rob

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
"if Obama doesn't kill my retirement, I'll be able to do it better, do it right!"

I guess the old saying was
"I'm spending my children's inheritance"..
Maybe the new saying
"I'm spending my retirement money before Obama confiscates it !"
Spread the wealth around ..... :)

Hershey

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
One thing I liked about this site is that it stayed away from religion and politics.
How we keep it that way...

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
Yeah, let's get back to giving Rob grief for abandoning ship! Anytime you're going to be in the Finger Lakes area of western NY, give me a shout and you can give me a lesson.

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
Canandaigua near the north end. We're two lakes to the west of Cayuga where you found your boat. I took a look at Galileo's Dance when I was trying to decide if the CP22 was what I wanted. I thought Shnool bought that boat. I might have made an offer on it if I could have figured out what the name meant! Marty

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I was gonna give Rob grief but I thought he might be in a situation where he HAD to sell the boat. :shock:

Rob, the only excuse is if you're getting a Capri 25 like Shnool. :lol:

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
Marty,

I was just driving down the west side, rt.16, 4 miles south of Canandaigua this morning.

of course I was just clicking on the arrow in Google maps street view...

There are nice moorings along that area. Many catboats tied up to them - nice area!

It makes me dream, of a house with a dock, with a boat lift parralell to the shore, so you can drive in a drive right out (either end) when the waves make it tough.

Chris,
I hear you guys, with regard to selling - call it my midlife crises. I won't get into politics but it is hard to have faith in the years ahead and at $2K I feel guilty spending the $$ on the dock. Although it is nearly as perfect as what I described above. I'm angry when I can't get out there etc.etc. - just trying to work it all out.
Glad to have you guys here talking up the boats and inspiring the rest!!!

I actually went to look at an old Force 5 yesterday. A little hull work and for $350, she'd make a great bay beach Reaching monster! I love planning on a reach, water coming at you and with enough wind you barely keep her under control - Laser, Sunfish (although the sunfish boom is really low for this body now haha) Force 5 - good times a reaching...
Rob

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
Hey Rightbrainer,

Schnool did buy Galileo's Dance and I purchased it from him last year. I asked about the name but he had no idea. Twice when sailling I was complemented on the name so I did a bit of research. Really I just googled it. As far as I can tell it was the title of a poem with no relationship to the water or sailing, but makes reference to the northern lights. It seems that in folkelore the lights dancing in the night sky were referred to as Galileo's Dance.

I live in Buffalo and can't see any northern lights so I changed the name to Chingaletta.

Cheers,
Curt

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Curt will tell you, I LOVED that boat... and I am extremely happy she's in good hands, and he'll continue to improve upon her and sail her well!

I also did love the name of the boat, and even if she should be renamed, I thought at least it was a name that wasn't "common," I did not name her, but appreciated how unique it was.

As to the topic at hand, which would be the "times they are a changing," and the OP may need to sell. Well, that honestly, would stink.

Someone once told me the 2 happiest days of a boat owners life (say it with me) are "the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells." I swear though that a NON-boater said that. Or at least a non-boater would it imply that the seller was selling his boat because he/she was fed up with the boat. QUITE THE CONTRARY... most of us have 2 foot itis... either up in size (or down honestly)... The reason is, our wants change (what we want to use our boat for), and smaller or bigger fits that need better. Therefore the seller is happy because they are getting the boat that more closely fits their wants...

The person who sells because they have to (for financial reasons) are almost NEVER happy, but I completely understand.

HOW DO I KNOW? I was there! I sold my Capri 14.2 because I had just been divorced and was blowing away $2000 a month on atty fees and paying for 2 places to live (one for myself one for the ex and daughter). I sold it JUST to make my rent for that month... Sold it for a song too... to a gentleman that had NO IDEA what he was buying. Sad SAD day, it sold for $800 boat and trailer and was pristine! Look this was a picture 1 year before I sold it:

It's OK though... I worked my way back here though. Just 10 months later, I had purchased a ZUMA, for $200 (yep, great little boat)... Then 1 year after that, I purchased the Capri 22. Of course 2 years ago I purchased the Capri 25. There was NOTHING wrong with the Capri 22, I just wanted MORE go fast, and considered the Tall rig Fin Keel Capri 22 (which I KNOW I'd have liked as well), but could afford the Capri 25 (which now that I've owned it for 2 years, I wouldn't trade it for anything - for now).

Anyway my point is (yes long route there), we'll all feel for you if you should sell for financial reasons, but we'll all understand. Take heart and things will get better, and you should always find the time/money to sail if you enjoy it. Too many people chase money or career, only to lose life in the balance. Life is equally work, and play... I get it sometimes work has to trump play, just don't make that the rule.

Fair winds to you... and hopefully you'll be sailing soon!

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
Shnool, well said.

If it does sell, no worries - I'll be driving up to a friends lake in PA and crewing for him every weekend.... :lol:

We'll see how it goes.

Not sure what happened to my first entry here. It was about the Navy ranking per number of posts well either way Shnool I like what you have done with your CP25!