Hey, Dave Gibson, SG, Todd Dunn, Tom Young, et al

Jun 14, 2013
Allied 42 Annapolis
Hello tenured CWBB denizens,

I don't think I've visited since ~ 2010 - around the time when Todd installed his new cabin sole. We became more and more involved in CGAUX to the exclusion of much else.
Shoulder & knee ailments now make it difficult to sail and/or maintain s/v SILKIE, so her future may simply be serving as my funeral pyre.
Some of the old CWBB gang should be interested in browsing the carpentry and systematic refitting I've done. We certainly spent lots of time debating and collectively refining such ideas. The developments are summarized here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ByPCsGuWHHjHmKoheppqEAaswFJjFu46

Please share with us your formula for staying on the water when your body says ouch.

Best regards,
Don Parker
s/v SILKIE, Allied 42
(\_ Annapolis MD _/)
Anchored Marsh Harbor .JPG

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Hey Don, nice to hear from you. Silkie looks like a beautiful boat.

Sorry to read your arthritis is bad enough to limit you. FYI most doctors don’t know this, as it’s not part of their medical training, but a plant-based diet reduces joint inflammation from arthritis without the negative side effects of meds. Check out this video for a scientific evidence-based explanation https://nutritionfacts.org/video/why-do-plant-based-diets-help-rheumatoid-arthritis/

If you have any interest I’ve been eating a plant-based diet for almost 7 years - and I don’t live on bland foods or “cardboard”. I’d be happy to share tips on how to make this dietary lifestyle succeed without feeling deprived, in this environment full of super-rich processed foods.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Don, nice to hear from you. Your projects are a great resource.

My self imposed formula - I guess,...is owning an old boat and an old house, and planning to keep working at a comfortable and interesting rate, as long as I can.

To the above, I mostly replace the word 'work' with needed exercise - even pleasure - if that makes sense.

In my 'spare' time, I rolled an tipped this 3 story section of my house. There was quite a bit of prep work but applying two coats (5 gallons) of paint took little more than a day, for me alone. I enjoyed that accomplishment(it helps having the equipment for my work on hand). :)

Painting an old house.jpg

Some people would find my life daunting. I see it as a series of self imposed, pleasant, projects, that have the added benefit of needed exercise that's becoming even more important, for a 64 year old. I've lost good friends already so I know how lucky I am to be able to live this life.

I need leisure time too - and I get all I need.

We spent more time on the boat this year than usual as the weather and the season were so wonderful. I have some interesting client work projects ahead and I'm looking forward to putting the boat away for a well earned off season rest. It performed flawlessly for us this year in good weather and bad.

A keen eye would notice I have toe rails to 'wood' next spring. I can hardly wait! :)
Indian Island 2017.jpg

Jun 14, 2013
Allied 42 Annapolis
Thanks Steve. It's good to be heard from.
Yes I'm back in Annapolis having sold the place in Florida.
I sometimes see you on the Bay from a CGAUX patrol boat. Your impeccable sail trim usually grabs my attention.
Don

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Don,

You can send me an email. Maybe we can get together. I travel a bunch but I’ll be in Annapolis over the weekend.

Steve

Jun 14, 2013
Allied 42 Annapolis
Thanks for complimenting SILKIE Larry.
I'm glad the plant based diet is working for you. However, I'm not likely to find such dishes in the USCG mess halls at Cape May, Curtis Bay or Yorktown, where I frequently eat rather than starve.
Approximately nine years ago, I had "prolotherapy injections" in my knees with superb results. Injecting dextrose into the joint creates so much inflammation that your body is spurred to produce collagen, which grows new cartilage, etc. This is common on Europe where Orthopedic surgeons do not dictate the standards of care. In the US, however, those surgeons have succeeded in causing Insurers (except for Tri-Care) to deny prolotherapy reimbursement.
I was willing to pay personally and never claim an insurance benefit. Interestingly, my fellow patients were pro or semi-pro athletes who strongly preferred cartilage rejuvenation to joint replacement surgery.
Now, companies like Celixer are perfecting stem cell injections immediately after prolotherapy to speed and amplify the results. They obtain, process and re-inject the stem cells from each patient (e.g. fat pad in knee, or bone marrow) to preclude possibility of infection, etc.
I'm eagerly awaiting the FDA to approve Celixer's recipe after the imminent completion of Phase III Clin Trials.

The other problem that plagues me is that consulted a prominent Annapolis cardiologist when my blood pressure started to rise at age 60. I was prescribed statins and Norvasc. 18 months later my ankles swelled so I sought counsel from a prominent Annapolis Internist who told me the vasodilator Norvasc addressed outbound blood flow but not inbound, hence swollen ankles. Changing to a different med completely resolved my BP issues.
While I was there, I told him I was getting amazingly weak, in terms of muscle strength. He cringed and said the cardiologist failed to recognize that I was in the cohort of patients inclined to suffer muscle deterioration from statin drugs. So I threw the statins away but not soon enough to prevent me from tearing my left rotator cuff when I tried to torque a 3/4" bolt with my arm fully extended.
One of Annapolis' premier J boat racers, who is a drug rep, subsequently asked me whether I understood that he and his kind compensate docs to prescribe particular meds.
I'm less naïve as I get older but also less able to quickly recover from the mistakes that are difficult to avoid.
Thanks for the insight.

Don

Jun 14, 2013
Allied 42 Annapolis
Can't until maybe December. My wife failed to say no strongly enough so she is new Flotilla Commander requiring us to be at Curtis Bay 11/11 & 11/12. But I look forward to it.

Jun 14, 2013
Allied 42 Annapolis
Hey Tom,
"great resource" coming from you is a wonderful compliment. Your boat is more inspiring than ever, despite a pause in toe rail finish. I fully appreciate the discipline you adhere to. Instead of the old house, I try to keep up with youngsters practicing helo ops, etc. I guess the common objective is to not become too comfortable in the easy chair by the hearth.
Best regards
Don

Attachments

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Hello Don,
Welcome back! Your boat looks beautiful..
Maren and I are no longer sailing the big boat - our Tartan 30 is for sail (sale? - she's ready to go). Maren has tendon disfunction in her feet, and being on the boat is no longer easy or safe for her.
I'm satisfying my competitive sailing urges by sailing radio control. Currently race a CR-914 and an EC-12. The CR racing is generally local, while the EC needs road trips. Maren comes along on the road trips and enjoys them. So far (last year) been from Maryland to Vermont. Bought a Subaru Outback in May, and have put over 10,000 miles on it!
Longer trips are done by airplane/rental car. We just got back from an 8 day trip to California - 4 nights in Tiburon (HS reunion for Maren) then a loop to Truckee, Lake Tahoe, Lake Mono, then over Tioga to Yosemite on the way back to the airport (fortunately, roads were open. The Donner party got snowed in at Truckee in late October.) Had reservations in Tiburon, but after that we just drove and took what was available, eating in places that looked good (kinda like cruising in the boat).
Life is good (but different) - we're enjoying it.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Don,
With all due respect, I’d rather pay for my own food than suffer the pains and pay for medical treatments, surgery and meds. It’s a LOT cheaper and life is better that way. The USCG mess hall probably has some healthy choices also, if you’re selective and know what to look for.

Do yourself a favor and spend some time at that nutritionfacts.org website (where I directed you to for that video above.) Use the search function to look up each thing that ails you. Dr. Gregor has done extensive analysis of the relevant scientific research in chronic disease that stems from the standard Western diet.

Other than injuries caused by trauma or medical treatment - Much of what you mentioned could have been prevented and can still be reversed (without meds and without surgery. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, arteriosclerosis, etc. Even type 2 diabetes is reversible without meds (yes I know you didn’t mention that, but I’m writing for anyone who reads this).

At the very least, you’ll want to ditch meat, dairy, and fried foods. Try it for just 2 weeks as an experiment and tell yourself that after, you’ll go back to the way you used to eat. There’s a good chance you’ll find it a worthwhile change, and if you don’t? No harm done. I started that way and the improvement in my quality of life was dramatic. Also, I’m 65, not on any meds, and my current blood values are better than when I was in my 30’s (I was a bacon-egg-cheese kind of guy).

Unfortunately the Standard American Diet (SAD) usually isn’t very creative with the “side dishes“ the plants and grains and legumes and salads that should be the main course. Other cultures tend to be much better at it (e.g. Indian, Asia, middle eastern). But there are creative ways to make better choices when the menu is limited.

I’d be happy to coach you. For example here are some tips - if they serve BLT ask they can substitute avocado for the bacon. In an Italian restaurant, you can order pasta primavera with tomato sauce instead of the creme based sauce, or a pizza with all the veggies and tomato sauce but no cheese (I like to spice it up with onions, hot peppers etc). Mexican food offers veggie fajitas, and veggie burritos etc. Salsa to taste, and beans (legumes) are essential for plant based protein and to make it more filling. In a Spanish restaurant order paella, and ask if they can substitute extra veggies and hold the seafood (if you make paella at home you can sub “vegan sausage” - it’s got the same spices just vegetable protein instead of fatty animal mystery meats).

Please feel free to PM me if you want to have a conversation.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2009
Oday 19 Trailerable
Tom, glad to hear you're not letting your projects slide. Not much to report here in the west. In process of selling Jaunty, may go RV. Comfortably ensconced in a small ranch style close to town, the hospital, good neighbors. Too damn tedious. Health somewhat in decline but working off spare parts and such. I've clearly outlived my biological time clock. Without docs and parts I'd be toast by now.

May sell out and go wild. Fair winds, kid.

Todd D

Jul 4, 2012
Allied Princess Southwest Harbor
It is nice to see all the old names. Unfortunately none of us are getting any younger and health issues are starting to limit our sailing. I know that is the case with me. About twenty months ago I found out that I have an incurable leukemia. The symptoms are starting to become an issue and significantly limited my boating time last summer. You can't do a lot of sailing when you are limited to about 2-3 hours underway.

In addition to health issues I got bitten by the nastiest of bugs a few years ago - The Wooden Boat Bug. As a result I bought a 1936 wooden power boat. It eats up the bulk of my boat maintenance energy. Here is a series of videos showing the beginning of this Fall's wooden boat projects.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMj5-rgz7Pdrv3K4EkE51hmJk1k6nXHdL

Tod

Dec 30, 2010
Montgomery 17 trailered
Todd, is it my imagination or does that little dinghy a couple boats over from your powerboat have a bulbous bow?

Todd D

Jul 4, 2012
Allied Princess Southwest Harbor
Tod, no it is just an illusion. What you see is an angled view of the teak transom on that dinghy.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Wow!!! This is like the old days! Great to see all the old names popping up, sorry to read some of the stories though. I was feeling pretty low about how things seem to be falling apart in the last few years, seems to be more of a common subject than I realized.
Not too many winter projects this year. As advertised the newer boats require very little maintenance OR varnish. I was over walking the yard at the broker's last weekend, he has a 1969 Phillip Rhodes 41 for sale. The boat has a wooden rudder that scared me, but sure has pretty lines. I guess I am out of the boat rescue business these days anyhow.
The current plan is to sit tight for the winter and see how things look in the spring. Although we seem to be losing about $4,000 a year in boat value, it appears that is the nature of the brand I guess? There are three H33's of 2004-2007 vintage at the club that have also been losing about the same value since purchased 4 years ago. I don't think any of us saw that coming.
I don't stop in here as much as I used to, I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving, it looks like although we are all getting older we still have a great deal to be thankful for.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It is nice to see all the old names. Unfortunately none of us are getting any younger and health issues are starting to limit our sailing. I know that is the case with me. About twenty months ago I found out that I have an incurable leukemia. The symptoms are starting to become an issue and significantly limited my boating time last summer. You can't do a lot of sailing when you are limited to about 2-3 hours underway.

In addition to health issues I got bitten by the nastiest of bugs a few years ago - The Wooden Boat Bug. As a result I bought a 1936 wooden power boat. It eats up the bulk of my boat maintenance energy. Here is a series of videos showing the beginning of this Fall's wooden boat projects.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMj5-rgz7Pdrv3K4EkE51hmJk1k6nXHdL
Your videos are a great source, Todd. You've acquired quite a range of skills by restoring your motorboat. I'm hoping your health improves.