Help with cutlass bering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2006
- - Honolulu Yamaha 25'
I have a 1977 25' Yamaha. When I engage my transmission and the shaft spins I am getting a vibration.It feels like a bad bering,could this be the cutlass bering?If so any advice on changing it.I am going to have the boat out for bottom paint this month and would like to take care of it then.Also any advice on removing shaft and replacing the packing around shaft.Any help is appricated.Thanks

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
When you haul your boat out check to see if there is much play in the prop shaft (more then 1/16" - 1/8" of an inch play means a worn cutlass bearing). You may also want to check your engine mounts and prop shaft alignment which if not aligned will wear the new bearing faster then one that is properly aligned.
Here is a reference on how to pull the old bearing: http://www.diybob.com/diyCutlessBearing.htm
Here is a great reference on the stuffing box (proviced by Maine Sail - a member here): http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box
Check out his other articles as well.

Satori

Sep 25, 2008
Yamaha Y-30 MkII Sidney BC
I don't think your cutlass would be adding that much in terms of vibration (though I've been wrong before!) I'd suspect shaft support bearings, stuffing box, engine mounts.

If I recall correctly, the Y-25 has the engine up front like the Y-30, yes?
I had some pretty severe vibration/noise when I first bought the boat. Discovered the pillow block (shaft support bearing) near the engine had some play in it. Also my diesel mechanic pointed out that the shaft should have a second pillow block as the shaft was over the recommended unsupported length (packing gland had been replaced with a dripless shaft seal hence no real support at the rear).
So when next on the hard, pulled the shaft, replaced and added a new pillow block. Not a cheap project due to the frozen shaft/engine coupling (finally had to be cut out) but .... huge difference in noise & vibration. Still get vibration at certain revs, but then it is a single cylinder diesel after all!
cheers,
jcm

Status
Not open for further replies.