Help remembering small cruiser name

Sep 24, 2021
none none Lake pleasant
I remeber reading an article about a small, inexpensive cruiser, but I can't remember the name of the company. I remember that the company went out of business but was restarted again under a different name. I think that it was unique because the entire ship was made of fiberglass (inside and out), and I think that it was a catamaran (but not 100% on that). Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO Forum @PaulH2504

You sound like your searching for a specific boat. Is there a reason you can share?

Your description of the builder can fit a hundred boat builders from the 70’s and 80’s.

Are you looking for something specific in a boat? Are you focused on Lake day sailing, or trailer traveling?

Are you thinking to solo sail? Does the speed element of a catamaran intrigue you? Are you looking for a pocket yacht, or a boat that can sleep 4 over night for long periods?

There are many reasons people become boat owners figuring that out before you buy will make you a more satisfied owner. .

Sep 24, 2021
none none Lake pleasant
Yes, it was a specific boat. I just remember reading some articles about it that sounded interesting. It was an ocean going pocket yacht. It was built in the 90's or later.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Pacific Seacraft built several small boats that were intended for long distance cruising.

One of the boats was a Flicka designed by Bruce Bingham.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Flicka got a lot of press. Pacific Seacraft got an award for their quality - I think it was the _ _ Powers award. But there was nothing inexpensive about those boats.

Sep 24, 2021
none none Lake pleasant
There certainly are some interesting stories about the Flicka, but that wasn't the one I was thinking of. I was fairly certain that it was a cat. I remember seeing an old video from the company on youtube of it being held upside down and righting itself once it was released, but I know there are many boats which can do that.

Oct 22, 2014
being held upside down and righting itself once it was released
That would not be a catamaran. Once flipped it stays flipped.

There is such a thing as a "cat" boat. It really is a Cat Rig Mainsail.

The MacGregor Yacht Corp built the M26 to be self-righting; if rolled 90 degrees, the weight of the ballast will quickly flip the boat back upright.

Maybe you'll find her among these boats.

Sep 24, 2021
none none Lake pleasant
jssailem got it, I was thinking of the Macgregor M26. Not sure why I was thinking it was a catamaran. Thank you everyone for helping with my bad memory.

Oct 22, 2014
Not Bad Memory. A condition know as “Sometimers.”

Sometime it is on the top of my tongue. Sometimes it’s just out of reach. Give me a hint.

Not a bad syndrome. One that a good glass or two of wine will resolve.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
jssailem got it, I was thinking of the Macgregor M26. Not sure why I was thinking it was a catamaran. Thank you everyone for helping with my bad memory.
The Mac 26M is a water-ballast trailer sailer. Inland lake cruiser at best.

I spent a lot of time researching and looking at these before I bought my first boat.

After sailing on a 26X, I decided they didn’t sail well, or motor well (their other claim to fame).

Greg

Jul 21, 2021
Helsen HMS 23 Bloomington
There certainly are some interesting stories about the Flicka, but that wasn't the one I was thinking of. I was fairly certain that it was a cat. I remember seeing an old video from the company on youtube of it being held upside down and righting itself once it was released, but I know there are many boats which can do that.
I agree with the other poster, a catamaran, if that is what you mean my a cat, will not right itself, so I'm pretty sure you are talking a cat rig boat, maybe a com-pac suncat at 19 ft.