Help Please - Rigging Sparcraft Ocean Range Vang

Nov 2, 2020
Beneteau 361 421 Milwaukee
New-to-me 2000 Beneteau 361 - it has a rigid boom vang installed but it's not rigged - there is no boom vang line - and I'm trying to figure out how to rig it.

It appears to be a Sparcraft Ocean Range Rigid Vang - it's a rigid vang with a double block on each end, and that's it. There is no obvious place to terminate the vang line at either end of the vang or on the vang connectors on the mast and boom. There is a vang bale on the mast step.

Any advice on how to rig this would be massively appreciated!! Thanks so much.

3E62FDAF-0C2E-49E8-B14E-2A2BB3959C6F.jpeg
1CD46D46-ADAB-4BF8-904E-409DCD4C879A.jpeg
D2893856-2B11-4849-B831-F049FF6344D8.jpeg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Maybe this will help...

It looks like the line runs back to the cockpit...there are lots of photos on the inter-webs that can probably give you some idea how it is supposed to be rigged...

32ADDB0F-365E-4458-B0E3-993D7A146601.jpeg

Greg

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If ya use a single block with becket on the bale at the mast foot, you can secure the line on the becket and after leading through the vang sheaves, lead it back to the cockpit or a cleat..
This site store has some or a local supplier..

Nov 2, 2020
Thx - I had already researched online a ton - believe I have it figured out. There needs to be a line termination point at the upper end of the vang so the line can run through all four pulleys (two on both ends of vang) and then run through the pulley at the vang bale. Pics on the internet are not clear, but I believe a termination point is created by threading the line through the middle throat of the upper vang end, and then tying a figure eight stopper knot. This is the best I can come up with, anyway : )

Nov 2, 2020
Thank you all so much for your insight on this - with all of your help, am out the new-to-me boat that wasn't rigged quite right when I got it. It's just the right hobby during a COVID winter . . .

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Pics on the internet are not clear, but I believe a termination point is created by threading the line through the middle throat of the upper vang end, and then tying a figure eight stopper knot.
I have the same vang. I don’t have any especially good pictures, but that’s exactly right - the line enters the throat and has a stopper to keep it from pulling back out.

Nov 2, 2020
Thanks so very much Davidasailor26! I really value your confirmation on this.

Does your vang line run straight from the vang into the block at the mast base, or do you have another set of pulleys between the vang and mast base?

Am wondering whether another set of pulleys w/ becket is a good idea or overkill for that vang.

Again, thanks so very much for your insight.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Thanks so very much Davidasailor26! I really value your confirmation on this.

Does your vang line run straight from the vang into the block at the mast base, or do you have another set of pulleys between the vang and mast base?

Am wondering whether another set of pulleys w/ becket is a good idea or overkill for that vang.

Again, thanks so very much for your insight.
Mine goes straight from the vang to the block at the base of the mast. I think the order is upper throat - bottom pulley - upper pulley - bottom pulley - upper pulley - mast base block - deck organizer block - jammer.

Mar 11, 2021
Hunter 1987 28.5 Bowleys Marina, MD
I have similar vang and my issue is the ropes have loosened on the vang, it was tied with no line back to the cockpit. My boom is sagging now and resting to much on the cockpit dodger when not sailing. When I had the ropes tight it was off the dodger just a bit. There is a 3 hole block that attaches to the base of the mast that looks to raise or lower that end of the vang. It is now set in the bottom hole, should I raise that and pin to a higher hole will that raise the boom. Any other info on how to use it would be greatly appreciated. Just got the sailboat a Hunter 29.5 and my knowledge as green as grass. Thanks

Attachments

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The outer cylinder of the vang attaches to the boom. There is a recessed hole between the boom attachment and the upper sheaves. Thread the vang line through that and tie a double stopper knot in it. Then thread the line through the sheaves, exiting at the mast base, through a block at the base and back to the cockpit.