Help O'Day 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carin

Currently considering purchasing an 1975 O'day 27. We have three children and would like any input as to whether or not this would make a good starter/family boat. This would be our first sailboat. Any input and advise re: boat is appreciated.

M

Mike

Yes

I have a 1977 O'Day 27 and I like it a lot. The 1975 has a different layout down below, but otherwise it is the same boat. It performs well, has standing headroom, and seems to be well built. Likewise, they are relatively cheap. Depending on the age of your children, you may want something bigger though, like maybe a Catalina 30. Good luck, and post your decision.

J

Jim Cook

Great First Boat

I just bought my 1974 last July. It is my first boat. I was looking for something smaller for months but when I saw her, my decision was made. I have found it very easy to handle and large enough to entertain up to about 8 passengers. We have the Volvo-Penta MD7A (13 hp) inboard deisel engine. It runs GREAT!!! Feel free to contact me at jlcook@swbell.net Good luck, JimC

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Great boat, but might be small for your family

Carin - The O'day 27 is a great boat. Well built and seaworthy with respectable performance. In terms of a first boat I don't think you could go wrong there. I would check it out with all of your family with you, however. Put everyone below and see how you fit. Five people is a lot on a 27 foot boat. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

D

Dan Tobin

Just bought one, 3 kids

I just bought a 1976 O'Day 27 in July and love it more every time out. The choice of a boat really depends on your needs. We sail Lake Ontario (as I expect you will) and day-sail the boat most of the time. Our cruises will be short (a long weekend to a week) so we won't have to stow a lot of gear. For extended cruising, it will be a little tight for your family and all of your stuff. My sailing experience is limited to a J24, O'Day 25 and my 27. The 27 shares many of the characteristics of the 25. It is well constructed and is very forgiving if you are a novice or a little rusty, as I am. The 27 is much more comfortable than the smaller, lighter boats. Lake Ontario tends to be very choppy and I really appreciate the extra size and weight of the larger boat. I'm sure the same comparison could be made by moving up to a 29' or 30', but the price of a larger vessel was out of the question for us at this time. Given our use of the boat, we think it's pretty close to perfect. We sail out of Pultneyville, about 20 miles east of Rochester. The PYC web page is http://hometown.aol.com/bristol32/index.html Good luck!

B

Ben McAndrew

Good Boat, right size

Hi. I an 14 years old and a good sailor. Despite my age and experience on different boats, I must say that I dissagree with Jason from the O'Day owners web. My parenst own a 1984 O28 and I have 3 other siblings. 27 is a great size for four family. 6 people cam sleep on it very comfortably. When we go sailing, we usually invite friends. This about 8-12 peopld on avg. when we go out, and everyone is always comfortable. However, If this boat has a tiller, I suggest that u install a wheel immediately. Trust me, It makes a world of difference. (especially if u will have to teach your spouse and offspring how to sail) So 27 os anexcelleny size for your family. I say go for it. You've got nothing to loose!!! If u have any other sailing Questions, please feel free to E-Mail me at: Lyman57@hotmail.com See ya sailing!!

S

Steve Starley

Kids and boats

Our first boat was a 1976 Catalina 27 bought new at the 1975 Annapolis Boat Show. Our three girls were 8,6, and almost 5. Boat was fine for daysailing and infrequent overnighters - very infrequent. Kept that boat a few years and discovered that children's necessary belongings for an overnighter expand rapidly while boat does not. Their need for "stuff" seemed to stabilize about the same time they discover boys and then they don't have time to go sailing anyway. My kids are now in their late twenties and early thirties and I expect to start taking the grandkids out soon so the cycle will start over again. Bottom line is that a 27 is a good starter boat but its ultimate utility will probably depend on the ages and sex of your children. My sailing buddies tell me that boys are much easier to accommodate on a boat.

L

Lee Millard

Just get Started

I have 2 boys 6 and 8 When we started sailing 3 years ago I bought a 20' Bristol daysailer. The boys liked it and it was a great boat for me to learn the ins and outs plus I bought it for a song so if we didn't enjoy it I really wasn't out anything. Over the last couple of years my boys have spent enough time around boats to know a 20' is pretty small. They have put alot of pressure to move to a bigger boat, so I broke down and bought a 28' O'Day which they think is a castle. I think you are starting out with a good size boat if your experience is limited and commitment unsure. Leave yourself room to grow your family will appreciate it.

R

Red

First boat

I love this boat. For years I have sailed in Catalina 22's exclusively. This O'day has all that you could need in a family cruiser. Room is tremendous, electrical system can be customized to meet your needs, easy to sail, solid feeling. Showering is a consideration, but other than that, for the monye very tough to beat!

Status
Not open for further replies.