HELP NEEDED - removing my main side polycarbonate/perspex panel.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
Finally getting around to removing my main side polycarbonate/perspex panel that ports are set into to re-seat it.

I have a windscreen removal tool set , so feeling pretty confidant BUT, how to remove old sika from perspex panel and fiberglass it comes out of?? I was planning to use a rubber eraser wheel ( see pic) , same as you use for removing decals and stripes , but have just noticed that the rubber eraser wheel supplier specifically says " not suitable to use on perspex or poly carbonate"- o - to those that have completed this huge task- what advice can you offer please??

Attachments

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Look up a product called Debond, it dissolves 5200, Sika etc. It takes time but it works.

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Hi Eian, I've done those side ports and handled the cleaning of the sealant the same way as the main windshield. I used a soft plastic scraper to scrape off the majority of it (as soft as a credit card). Then I used either isopropyl or acetone to clean off the rest. It worked fine.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
I wouldn’t use acetone on a perspex panel, unless of course if you want privacy so nobody can see you through the panel.

Jul 25, 2004
I wouldn’t use acetone on a perspex panel, unless of course if you want privacy so nobody can see you through the panel.
Hi Senang, I agree with you. But I only use it on the part that adheres to the fiberglas--and I sand down that part of the plexiglas anyway for a good mechanical adhesion.

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
I scraped the old Sika with a chisel. Then buffer thé surface with a polishing wheel in a drill. Mask the whole plexiglass with tape. Coat the contact surface plexi with sika 295uv and spatule it even. Then add thé sika generously to thé Hull recess. Then carefully press in the plexiglass by hand make sûre to have same thickness of sika all around. Then take off the excess sika inside and out with a jointing tool before it polymérises!!! Think about masking thé hull on the outside too. This worked for me :)

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
Hi Eian, I've done those side ports and handled the cleaning of the sealant the same way as the main windshield. I used a soft plastic scraper to scrape off the majority of it (as soft as a credit card). Then I used either isopropyl or acetone to clean off the rest. It worked fine.
Paul, i am removing the forward starboard side side panel- above the dining table. How did you actually remove this? Did you use the suction holders attrached to a halyard on a winch pulling up?

Jul 25, 2004
Hi Eian, I did the side panels differently because they are so thin at the upper edges where they are beveled and very prone to cracking. I used a very small diameter pointed probe, like an awl, but much smaller, and can't remember now what it was. Like a needle but sturdier. I pushed that through from the upper corner from that outside bevel and then "threaded" a piece of small diameter line-whipping thread or sailmaker's thread through the hole and worked it all around the panel. Once I got far enough I pushed the panel outward from inside the boat. As I recall it was pretty easy. Once I "sawed" the thread much of the way around I remember being surprised at how easily it "popped" out with some light pressure.