Help! Need to replace hotwater heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WSF

Need to replace the hotwater heater on our 1978 H30. The old cylindrical HWH is accessible via the starboard cockpit locker, but obviously must be dismantled and cut out. It had to have been installed before the hull and deck shells were mated together. All available openings are too small to insert a new rectangular shaped HWH (cockpit opening 11 1/2" and 5 gal. HWH's begin at 13 1/2"). The only access I can think of is to cut the bulkhead just to the left of the galley sink, after removing shelving/rails, and create a new hatch door for the HWH. This opening would provide about 15" of vertical and horizontal access. Any other ideas out there ?

R

Royce Hallock

Hot Water

I have a 76 h30. I had to dismantle the old one to get it out. I found a plastic encased 6 gal. WH from a Home Depot or Builders Square, that fit thru the opening OK. I've had the unit in for 6 years now and the only problem has been a corroded terminal that was easily repaired. I don't remember the manufacture off hand, but if you email me @ hallock@interconnect.net, I'll look it up and email you back, or you can just post another note. Good luck

B

Bill

Hot Water Heater Problem

I don't know the specifics of your boat, but with our boat (a 37) the hot water heater can be removed and replaced by removing the sink. This gives about 15".

B

Bob Sinclair

Water heater removal

I just completed removal of my water heater from 1979 Hunter 30. I removed the fittings from the tank and then removed the tank from the outer shell while still in the cockpit locker. I then removed about one foot of the wood lip that holds the panel which seprates the locker from the engine compartment. I was then able to remove the tank through the engine compartment (behind the engine) into the quarter berth.

T

terry dornan

cut it up

the fastest and easiest way to get the old heater out is to cut it into (3) peices with a saws all_ took me about 15 minutes to get it out

D

Dave

hot water tank

take a sawzul and cut your old one in Half..replace to Fiberglass that fits your hatch..mount the same heating eliments..you can also add a heating coil from your exhaust

K

Ken Palmer

Why are you replacing?

The HWH on my 1981 H33 stopped heating last season. Through a little investigation, I found that a replacement heating element was readily available at Home Depot. It was easy to change, and a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the whole tank. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.