Help Inspecting and Maintaining Furler

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skip Nelson

I recently bought a poorly maintained 26S. The 3 things that worked were the head, the motor and the stereo. What does that tell you? I never owned a furler before and don't know how to inspect and/or maintain it. It has an aluminum drum with blue stripes, no maker's name. It has a double slotted plastic shaft (what is the proper term for this, I don't know). Many say its a "CDI", but I don't know. I have seen this same rig on other boats on trailers, but have not found the owners to ask. Any directions would be appreciated. Skip Nelson ZooDoc@AOL.COM

B

Bob Cassel

Sounds like a CDI to me

Yep, that should be a CDI. I presume you don't have a sail on it. What you have to do to put one on is: run a line up one of the outside "tracks" in the luff (that's the grey plastic piece that runs up from the drum and covers the forestay) There is an enclosed sheave up at the top of the luff. The line goes up one side and down the other. You tie on the sail, feed the bolt rope of the jib up the track while you pull down on the other end of the line. Once it is fully up and tensioned against the tack line (you tied this off to one of the small shackles that go through the drum. OH, the heck with this. Here is CDI's installation web page. http://www.sailcdi.com/ffaqmain.htm Send me an e-mail if you need better description, I'll be happy to help out.

J

JB

Maintaining the furler

One of the main things to remember when you raise the sail on the furler is that the sewn in luff tape of the sail keeps the luff tight -- DO NOT over tighten the halyard when you raise the sail -- if you do, the plastic track will take a permanent set - just raise the sail until the clew end can be attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.