Help & Information needed for my Sirius rebuild for retirement use

tomp

Jun 5, 2017
Sirius 21 FOOT BELTSVILLE
I have purchased my first 21 foot sailboat.Sirius
It appears this boat sat more than it was used.
I removed everything.
I would like to talk with experienced people as yourself.
Keel support bolt holes seem to be slightly elongated from wear.
Is it normal to install bushings to make the holes true again?
It seems there is only 1/2 of fiberglass(on each side) supporting all the weight.
The repairs that were done I believe were not correct or with long term use in mind.
Are there any mechanical drawings available for this sailboat?
Thanks
Tom

tomp

Jun 5, 2017
Sirius 21 FOOT BELTSVILLE
Yes, this is my first larger boat.
As I put the boat back together, I am concerned about anything that can cause me future problems when I begin to learn how to sail. I would like to address all issues now. I plan to put it on the water when I retire in 3 years.
I hope to be finished and begin sailing sooner.
This is why I am asking for any help doing the needed maintenance now and what problems or wear items may be in store for me later on.
Thanks
Tom

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tom. While I have not seen your boat, you will find that the issues for most boats are not unique.
Work on the 5 keys.
  1. Keep the water out. Drain all water that gets in, stop all leaks so water stays out.
  2. Keep the crew on the boat. Lifelines, tethers, PDFs if the crew insists on swimming.
  3. The Keel should stay down under the water. You want it secure to the boat. Keeps the boat upright. Much easier to sit on the boat.
  4. Mast must stay up. Standing rigging, chain plates, all fixtures secure and rust free.
  5. Keep the rudder attached to the boat. If the rudder abandons the boat you will not go where you want to go.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
"Work on the 5 keys" - @jssailem that's almost a sticky thread in itself, I like the way they are phrased.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thank you Dan for the comment, I embellished the words, but the concept came from John of Attainable Adventure Cruising, MorgansCloud. :)
I like to keep the ideas on my boat simple. Helps me to remember what is important.:biggrin:

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
@jssailem: With my engine out for repairs that gave me access to the fuel tank and fuel lines, etc., I have really forgotten that the important reason you own a sailboat is to go sailing. I easily get caught up in worrying about what I don't know.

@tomp: don't drive yourself crazy fixing everything and forget to go sailing, I have done that over the years and once I get back in the water I am definitely going to make up for lost time. Anyways, some of the stuff you won't know needs fixing until you take it for a sail. :biggrin: