help identify this Capri

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Riley Carsey

My son and I are looking for a nice first sailboat. We've found what I think is an early Capri 14, but it dosen't have a fore deck. It has bench seats on both sides from the transom to the forpeak where there is a storage locker with a hatch. The data plate reads: Capri # 1227 Woodland Hills, Ca. My guess is this is a very early model. Thank you slopokes@fix.net

R

Robert Jones

Capri

That is a Capri 14 and probably was built in the early 70s. I had one and it is as you described. No foredeck but a hatch forward where you can stow a small anchor. It's hull shape seems to be the same as the Catalina 14.2 daysailer they now sell. Check the www.Catalinayachts.com web site, sign up as an owner and they will send you an owner's manual for free. This is a nice, safe boat. Lots of floatation, double hulled and self bailing and seems to be well made. More suitable for your waters than here in the Bay Area, it should only be sailed in a protected area. Good first boat to learn the ropes on but it is tender. Expect to get wet in a blow. Doesn't have reef points in the main, so if you don't have a lot of weight to hold it down in a blow, it would be worth adding some reef points or just sail under the jib. If it flips, you can right it by standing on the centerboard a la the Laser, but you'll need to have about 200 lbs to do it unless you drop the sails. Check out the centerboard trunk and make sure it's secure. That's where water will get in if it's cracked.

Status
Not open for further replies.