Help.. Hundon River Sailing with no keel!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

Someone help me. I want a macgregor, but the old salts anr telling me that Hudson river currents make the mac a bad choice to buy. I am going to buy By Aug 31 either a catalina 25 Mac 26 or Hunter 27....Help

K

Kevin Barry

Why?

I don't understand why it would be a bad choice. Would you rather have a mac with a 50hp or a catalina or hunter with a 9.5 hp? It would seem the mac has the advantage in the strong current. If your sailing through the current, I would expect they're all about equal.

M

mike

16 ft. row boat and i in the Hudson River

I was in the Sea Explorers when i was a teenager. the boat was at a pier in Jersey City call Caven Point. We use to take an aluminum --16 ft. boat to the Statue Of Liberty all the time. About a mile away using a 9.9 hp motor. Wasn't a problem then. My nephew always takes his jet ski out on the Hudson as well. Big thing u have to worry about in the Hudson is traffic and debris floating. I like to sail my mac to Jersey City from Florida some day. Visit my family-------good luck Mike

J

Jason

Re Hudson River Sailing with no Keel

Hey, Mark, I sail my "69 Venture 21 on the Hudson in northern Westchester County, and their is nothing unique to the Mac design to make it a particularly worse trailer sailor in the Hudson. Most Macs have a keel (referring to the title of your post) -- albeit a swing keel -- except for the water ballasted and daggerboard boats, and even those sail the river with no problem. In my opinion, the macs are no worse off in the river than the hundreds of swing keel catalinas, odays, tanzers and hunters which are out there too. That said, I do recognize that, because you often must contend with the current, more or less so depending upon where you sail, a heavy ballasted, full keel boat tracks much better and tends not to get thrown around or overwhelmed when the wind and current team up in one direction. Just my .02; feel free to email me directly if you have any questions. jason. jschmidt@egsclaw.com

Status
Not open for further replies.