HELP! finding right motor& mount for 25' 1973 c&c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2009
2 25' sailboat 1973 buffalo, new york
hi, does anyone have any suggestions as to a motor and mount that would work for us and our newly aquired 1973 25' C&C ? we purchased (and returned) an 8 horse , 4- stroke long shaft 2007 and a 300.00 mount . When both were put on our boat , there were a number of problems the biggest being. - weight ... how the hec do you raise and tilt a 90 ob motor while leaning over the back of your transom.?? also the mount didnt quite fit right ,as the handle hit the back of the boat threatening to amputate our fingers. even with a wedge in there. raising the mount any further so our fingers would clear put the prop too far out of the water. . This motor weighed around 90 lbs. Is this old boats transom equipped to deal with such a heavy motor. there is a wood backing piece built into the rather thin fiberglass it all seems a bit shaky. and very hard to get to the inside of the transom to bolt etc....
i figure we need to go with a 2 stroke lightweight 8 hp long shaft that would weigh not more than 60- 65 lbs. ?? but thats proving very difficult to find. does anyone have any suggestions from their experience as to how to deal with this problem and what motor and mount to buy so we can get out on the water (with the motor able to be raised out of the water....) THANKYOU IN ADVANCE.......Laura

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I had a wonderful old C&C 25 some years ago and really loved that boat. I had a 9.9 Evinrude 2-stroke OB on it that I think weighed about 88lbs. The bracket was a Garelick 71056 (could take up to 115 lbs) and worked more or less effortlessly to raise and lower that motor. Garelick has a guide to choose the right bracket for your motor on their website. See
http://www.garelick.com/obmb.html

While I did not need it to raise my motor, Defender and other boat stores sell a levering device that will fit over the upper unit to give you greater leverage in raising your motor, but a properly operating OB bracket should have all the spring power you need to do the job. I believe the starboard side of the transom of my boat had a built in pad in the stern to absorb and spread the weight of the engine and bracket.

Good luck with your boat -- they are great sailors.

Status
Not open for further replies.