HELP... Barnacles on outboard

Apr 6, 2011
Cal 1-27 backyard
I just got back from vacation, and realized that someone left my outboard in the down position. It has only been about 3.5 weeks, but there is a layer of fouling beneath the water line, including the prop. Are there any tips for getting these barnacles off without causing permanent damage. Do you think there would be any lasting damage from this experience? Thanks a lot for all of your help.

Chris

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Keep them wet until you are ready to remove them. I would use a pressure washer being careful not to blast into any shaft seals. Then go to work with a plastic ice scraper.

I would personally then try to use On-and-Off after trying on a small area to be sure it doesn't harm the paint. Maybe someone else has a better chemical to remove the last traces of the barnacles.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
You didnt say what kind of outboard, but if they got through the water pickup vents they could foul or destroy the water pump/impeller. Dropping the lower unit is pretty easy and you can do a much more thorough job cleaning them out.

Isnt there a chemical they wouldnt like? Bleach perhaps? Maybe a run in a barrel with some solution of something would clean the buggers off.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Put a large bucket over it and fill with fresh water and let the unit sit submerged in fresh water for a few days.... everything will fall off dead.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Put a large bucket over it and fill with fresh water and let the unit sit submerged in fresh water for a few days.... everything will fall off dead.
Yes, barnacles don't like fresh water. You can also add a small amount of bleach to the water. I would avoid acid based cleaners such as On & Off on an aluminum outboard motor... Once the majority of them are off with pressure water via a pressure washer or high powered hose, then a pink scotchbrite sponge will get it clean again. The pink sponge is for non-stick pans and won't scratch up the paint like a green or blue scotchbrite sponge will.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Emphasis

Yes, barnacles don't like fresh water. You can also add a small amount of bleach to the water.

Aluminum and bleach don't get along either so more bleach than a small amount is a potential negative. A stiff plastic scrapper will help and avoid damage to the paint as well. Personally I would avoid bleach and try elbow grease first and then perhaps use On and Off sparingly on any remaining circles using the plastic scrapper and scotchbrite soaked in On and Off. The paint should protect the aluminum from the acid and you will only use it in small areas rather than soaking the unit.