Hello !!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Ulrich

Ahoy Sailors !!!! Honored to be here. Through this forum I hope to share my experiences re: gelcoat, teak and general boat care over the past 30 some years of trying to make boats look good and go fast. Believe me there probably isn’t a commercial (or homebrew) product that I haven’t tried at one time or another with varying results. Despite the title “Guest Expert” the reality is I am just a guy who wants his vessels to look as good as humanly possible and still have some time left over to sail and race them. Therein lies the Sailors Paradox! I certainly won’t have all of the answers, so let’s all share our experiences, and at the very least arrive at some plausible solutions to restoring and keeping your boats looking good as new. With folks like Peggy Hall (Head Mistress)

E

Ed Schenck

Welcome Aboard Dan!

Even though I think that I have seen you floating around this web-site before it's good of you to "chair" this forum for awhile. I have had your Poli-glo kit sitting in my basement for over a year! As you said, trying to balance sailing with working on the boat. My marina put me in early this season. So early that I didn't even get the topsides washed and waxed let alone "Poli-gloed". So I am very anxious to try it and to hear from those who have. Glad you are here. Ed s/v Ladylove 1979 H37C

S

Steve Larson

Stain Removal

Dan, I used your product this year for the first time on both hull and topsides and I was quite impressed. In fact, I moved my boat to a new yacht club and my dock mates can't believe that the boat is 15 years old. My question relates to those pesky birds who eat fruit and then leave deposits on the boat. I have a few stains that I now can't seem to get out. Any advice?

J

John O'Donald

Am I the only one that doesn't know what poly glow

I would like to hear about your product and how to use it

J

John O'Donald

Am I the only one that doesn't know what poly glow

I would like to hear about your product and how to use it

J

Joe

It's great!

Welcome Dan, Glad to have you here. I'll leave it to you to tell John about Poli Glow, but let me just say I have found it does a great job and is easy to use. Joe C. in NC

T

Tim Leighton

GREAT STUFF!!!

The hull on my 1985 H31 was badly oxidized and no amount of compounding, waxing, etc. would bring back more than a slight, temporary shine. Picked up a Poli-Glow kit at the Annapolis Sailboat show and did the hull the next week. All of a sudden I had a brand new boat! Best testimony to the quality of the finish was the owner of the yard's boat cleaning concession who asked me (partly in gest...I think!) not to tell anyone about Poli-Glow lest it ruin her business! I've used the product now for almost 3 years and absolutely swear by it, especially for older hulls like mine. There are similar finishes out there, but none have the ease of application and customer support of Poli-Glow. Let me add my thanks Dan for a great product! Tim Leighton (S/V "TIDE") Ches Bay

K

Ken Palmer

Welcome Dan!

This is the first year I have used Poli Glow on the hull of my 1981 Hunter 33. The shine is fantastic. Lasy year I used Poli Glow on the smooth white fiberglass on the cockpit area and around the cabin. It was a little difficult to apply only because there are so many curves and small areas. I didn't re-coat at fall haul-out, and this week was my first opportunity to re-apply to the cockpit and cabin areas. There was a gray looking sheen on the cabin sides. I tried scrubbing it off with boat soap and brush, but that wouldn't touch it. I ended up using the Poli Prep and scrubber, and seem to have removed most of this off-white stuff. I re-applied 5 coats of Poli Glow, and it looks like new. That seemed like a bit too much work, and wonder if the Clenz-All would have done a better job? I posted a photo of the hull work from this spring on my website. Take a look if interested. Thanks for joining us, and good luck with the questions. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty

K

Kevin Uckert

Non-skid Service Cleaner

Dan, I have a new H260 that I am already challenged to keep looking new! I have used Boat Soap on the non-skid deck surfaces with okay results. Some have suggested Soft Scrub. Before I try anything else, curious to know what you would recommend. Thanks

J

Joe Dickson

Poli-Glow and Poli-Prep

I have used your product on our 1984 Hunter, and I'm amazed at both how well it works and the comments I get from other boaters. I don't want people to miss what a great product Poli-prep is as well. My hull is in great shape but my main reason for getting the system was my deck. It was severly oxidized with stains and dirt ground into the oxidation. The Poli-Prep cleaned the deck and restored the original snow white color. With the Poli-Glow on the cleaned deck the shine is remarkable. One of the neatest benefits to the application however, is that when I walk on the wet deck in my deck shoes, the soles of my shoes squeak against the restored fininsh as opposed to grinding in more dirt. I purchased your products as a last ditch effort to avoid a paint job on the deck, and with the proper maintenence if this finish holds up over time, that will have been a success. Joe S/V Charis

T

Tim Leighton

SOFT SCRUB BANNED!

Kevin, et.al: A couple years ago (before we discovered Poli-Glow!) I used quite a bit of Soft Scrub both on the hull and decks. I think that is the reason I've come to have to rely on Poli-Glow to return the hull to close to its original shine. Soft Scrub and related products are an abrasive (abet a mild one and not good for gelcoats) and leave a minute amount of "scum" on the surface of whatever you are cleaning. You can see this by cleaning with SS, rinsing thoroughly, letting it dry, and then wiping with a dark colored dry cloth. Unless your hull (for example) is totally oxidized, you will pick up some of the SS residue. I did it and was amazed at the results. Hence the banning of SS from my boat. My "solution" is to use a product called "Simple Green" either full strength or diluted for almost all my boat cleaning. Occasionally I add a bit of bleach to improve the whitening effect on the deck. I've found this to be very effective in removing all but the most stubborn stains, easy to work with, and even leaves a pleasant fresh odor. Good luck keeping your boat looking new. A little elbow grease and TLC now will save you big $$$'s later....trust me! Smooth sailing. Tim (S/V "TIDE")

C

Chris Bagin

Really old hull??

I'm restoring a 63 Oday Mariner that has not seen the water or maintanence for a long time. The glecoat is crazed all over. Should I expect the same type of result that everyone has mentioned so far from the kit? Are there special considerations because of the extensive crazing? Thanks in advance, Chris

D

Dan Ulrich

Crazing (Chris)

Can you give me a little more detail as to the physical condition of the gelcoat? Sometimes crazing has different meanings, and I want to make sure I understand exactly what you have. Looking forward to your reply! Dan

C

Chris Bagin

Crazing condition

Dan, I'm not sure exacly how to describe the crazing, but I'll take a shot. This evening I'll take some pictures and post em up. The crazing is a gel-coat wide problem. It is not concentrated in any area indicating a stress problem. I speculate it is a result of "dried out" 40 year old gel-coat which hasn't recently received any upkeep. It looks a little like a dried out cracked mud puddle, except that the surface is still smooth ( no significant gaps ). The gelcoat is not peeling away from the fiberglass (except on the curve of the cabin). It has no shine, as one would expect from new gel, but has no chalky residue on the surface either. Again, I'll try and get some pictures the would probably help. Thanks for you interest, Chris

D

Dan Ulrich

Crazing (Chris)

Chris: Looking forward to the Pics, let me know when you post them. Again, without seeing the condition first hand about all I can say is to give Poli Glow a shot, it will do no harm, and is 100% guaranteed!

C

Chris Bagin

No Pictures yet...

Dan, I tried to get a few pictures with my cheap digital camera, but they were pretty much useless. I'll move to Plan B and post the pictures when I get them. Chris

V

Vivian

replacement parts, please

Howdy..... um, wait! my eye patch slipped.....there,... Arrggg Matie, I be lookin fer parts ta be fixin my teeny weenie vessel. Things r a crackin' and chippin' it bein' a Capri 14.2 '84 model an all. Where should I cast my one good eyeball to find such infRmation? 28-Aug-01 rubberchicken@uswest.net

Status
Not open for further replies.