Heavy Weather Sailing

Jul 28, 2016
Still new to the Capri 22 - it's a big change from my previous boat (I downsized).

Last week, our Tuesday Club race featured sustained winds in the high teens, gusting to the mid-20's. Confused chop, combined with 3 foot wind=driven waves. Motoring out to the course was very uncomfortable - keeping the prop in the water was a challenge at times. Ultimately, we made the decision not to race.

Looking at tomorrow's forecast, we may be dealing with similar conditions. Is the Capri design up to being sailed aggressively in these kind of conditions?

Feb 16, 2017
Hi,

I have been sailing for a long time, I have found that if properly sailed the boat will do just fine. If you have a shoal or winged keel it will be a bit more of a hand full.
I have a deep keel and tall rig so for me it will be bit more of of a hand full as well.
Remember this the boat will do better with smaller jibs and a lager main. No I am not saying to get an over sized main, I am saying don't reduce or use to many reefs in the main and use a bigger jib/genoa.
Always reduce the head sail size first. My headsail selection is as follows
1@ 100% full hoist 155% overlap 0-10 knots of breeze
1@ 100% full hoist 107% overlap jib that is full or rounder than normal 8 to 12 knots of breeze
1@ 100% full hoist 107% overlap but flat 12-20 knots of breeze
1@ 75 % shortened hoist 85% overlap 20+ knots of breeze Storm jib this is a very important sail.

I will start reefing the main over 23+ knots of breeze.

The boat is strong enough just sail the boat flat, The biggest mistake is people don't tighten their shrouds for big breeze. you have to do that.........

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
delling3 said:
... Is the Capri design up to being sailed aggressively in these (25 knots) kind of conditions?
No flippin way !
For me, 15 to 20 knots is max; beyond that fun takes a back seat to just getting home. 25 knots is more adventure than I want. YMMV
Wooster with a reefed main, chicken jibing after 15 knots

Feb 7, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 MKII 1097 Grove, OK
Won our big race on Grand Lake in Oklahoma last June 10 & 11. Winds steady 20 gusts to 30. 2005 Capri 22 STD Rig Fin Keel, double reef, 110 Jib, crew of two. With the jib sheeted to inside tracks and dumping the main on gusts, the boat is very competitive. Like others have stated, I had thought I might have to keep the boat in the slip in these conditions and was very happy to see, it'll take it as the San Juan 24 I owned previous to this Capri 22.

Jul 28, 2016
Good Info, thanks guys.

I have a std rig, wing keel, so probably not quite as capable as a fin keel boat, but I wasn't really thinking performance, rather safety. Coming from a bigger boat, I find myself being surprised by things - the size of the standing rigging wire, or thickness of the hull layup. I know it's a smaller boat, much lighter, etc., etc. Just sometime seems so delicate . . .

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
The right Horse for the Course.
My capri is at its best in the light winds of MA's north shore in mid to late summer. Five to ten knots gets close to hull speed close hauled/reaching. Early in the season, winds are apt to be stronger. If I were a rich man, I'd keep the capri for July/August yet sail a heavier hull in those spring winds. Last Wednesday, for example, the winds, according to windfinder.com, were 12 to 14 with gusts of 20+ knots. Having other commitments later in the week, I took advantage of the day and left the mooring with a tightly reefed main (I really sweat the luff's reefing line so as to get as taut a sail as possible) and a bit of jib (135 roller furling, like the main, a six year old Ullman). Playing with my hand held gps, I saw 6 knots across salem sound. Then out past the islands (misery, bakers and cat) beyond half way rock (half way between boston and cape anne) on some sort of reach with a gentle three foot swell. At the fourth beer, I turned around for a ten mile beat back to salem. All good until inside cat island when the wind lived up to that 20 knot prediction. I don't know how 20 knots looks on fresh water but in the ocean its all white caps with spray over the bow, occasionally reaching me at the tiller (by the time I entered the harbor my last beer in its footwell cup holder was filled with salt water). Those last four miles had no jib, tightly reefed main and me balancing the boat in that narrow groove where a bit more off wind over powered/dipped the lee rail and a bit more close hauled stalled. Doable but a tiring way getting home.
Each sailor has his own limits, me, I don't find 20 knots fun.
Yesterday, on the other hand, wind was 10 and 12 knots. Full main and varying amounts of jib made for a spirited yet fun sail; using the outhaul and Cunningham kept the boat moving and in control.
The right course for the horse.

Wooster whose two most important items for heavy weather sailing are cup holder and chin strap; all may go to hell but I won't spill the beer or lose my hat.