Heater installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
Hi folks.
Boat is an '81 Yamaha 30, Yanmar 1GM engine & fuel tank under the V-berth.
I had (still have) an Espar in the back near the transom, that I have never been impressed with, primarily due to it's location/installation. Low & slow heat output, jet noise, constant fuel pump clicking, one output under the companionway, battery demands, etc. I know others are really happy with theirs, but it just wasn't happening on my boat.
I've been kicking it about for a while, exploring options for installation.
I finally made the commitment and managed to get a Dickinson P-9000 installed and operating. Ended up going propane instead of diesel so I wouldn't have to deal with pump noise or day tank, smaller hole in the deck for the flue/chimney, lower profile vent cap on deck.
So far very happy and a HUGE improvement in terms of heat output.

Due to the storage location of the salon table on the port bulkhead, I ended up making a stainless steel standoff bracket, very solid and has worked perfectly. Still fairly easy to get the table in & out of storage. (Though not sure if I'd want to do it while the stove is on.)

The heat off the side of the unit is minimal though the chimney does get warm. But I can still lean against the bulkhead and read while it's on without roasting, and the top front vent/fan blows down under the table to spread the heat around.

Associated recent projects:
Replaced the settee "sling cushion" arrangement with a hinged plywood unit (working prototype, not pretty but an improvement in comfort and access)
I have raised the salon table 2" for comfort and access because the settee now sits you a tad higher.

Now ready for my winter cruising.

cheers all.

Craig in BC

Edit: Sorry, can't seem to rotate the images. Duh.....

Attachments

Zelda

Dec 4, 2010
Yahmaha Y30 Point Roberts, Wa
I'm looking into the same thing for my Y30. That's a pretty creative install. Would it not fit on the starboard side? I think I have the space as I toasted the upper bunk when got rid of my sling seats. Mine is well on it's way to becoming a cruiser (that is still fun). Heat would be nice. I had a propane version similar config to your espar that was broken when I bought the boat. After listening to others run their espars all night:evil: I think I'd rather go wall mount too.

Spence

Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
I'm looking into the same thing for my Y30. That's a pretty creative install. Would it not fit on the starboard side? I think I have the space as I toasted the upper bunk when got rid of my sling seats. Mine is well on it's way to becoming a cruiser (that is still fun). Heat would be nice. I had a propane version similar config to your espar that was broken when I bought the boat. After listening to others run their espars all night:evil: I think I'd rather go wall mount too.

Spence
Hey Spence,
Yes the heater could've mounted on the starboard bulkhead, but I was afraid of the chimney/flue interfering with the doorway too much and would've encroached on the berth. This way both berths are full length & accessible. However, another Y30 just down the dock mounted one on starboard shortly after I did my install, and it doesn't interfere as badly as I thought it would.
Otherwise, I liked the idea that the heater itself would be a bit tucked out of the way, that I could still easily open the salon seat, could mount the deck cap on centre line of the boat, that the fan would blow the heat under the table (when the table is in use on the hook) and distribute it better. And maybe 'cuz I like to make things more difficult for myself. :)
Also I like that the tendency is to grab the frame mount instead of the chimney, so it (and my hand) is a bit "protected" that way. And the lower section (18" ?) will get too hot to grab onto.
I was afraid that there might be some rattle issues with the whole setup, but absolutely nothing so far, it's a pretty solid mount.

Haven't yet had a weekend to get away and really test it out but certainly is nice at the dock. I have added a small fan mounted on the bulkhead to blow some extra heat off the chimney, which should add a bit more efficiency. I don't think the P-9000 will overheat the boat, but it will definitely make it very comfortable. For real winter cruising the P-1200 might be a better choice. Time will tell.

cheers from Victoria
Craig
Oh, a bonus was finding that the stock flue shield just fit with the curves I had, whereas on the other boat the curves won't allow it to fit properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.