Heat on 37.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

We are going to install heating system on our 91 Legend. I am torn between a hot water type sytem and forced air. My considerations are that the hot water system can also heat domestic water. Any thoughts on the two systems.

T

TOM MCNAMARA

Heating

I am in a marina and about 10 live aboards in Glen Cove I have a Webasco heating system on a 450--1999.The syatem is heated by deisel fuel,battery operated.It heats water that runs around the entire boat,about 300 ft of heat hose and 3/4 copper in all the closets.there are 9 kickers similar to car heaters in varioous areas The water is seperate from the domestic water as it is in a home,infact it is anti freeze.There are 4 zones,2 are thermostaticlly controlled,foward and aft.The other 2 are on whenever the heat is on ,and they do all the bunks,closets etc.The kickers have a fan that blow hot air,just like a car.cost 11,000.00 beanos,and it works great MCBUBBA720@AOL.COM

T

TOM MCNAMARA

HEATING

The only forced air system I know is a HVAC reverse cycle,which I have but it dont work when the water goes below 40 and this system I have stops all wetness throughout the boat.And yes it also heats the hot water tank.were Do you live,

P

Peter Milne

Hot Water Heating

We installed a Webasto hot water system on our 430 last year and it is fabulous. We were last on the boat in Novemnber when the temperature was below freezing and the three cabins were a comfortable 70 degrees. We're looking forward to heading back in March. It will add four months to our sailing season. Lots of hot water too! Our cost installed was $7000Cdn which included four bus heaters. Peter Milne S/V Blue heron

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
One advantage of forced air

I've had both systems and while they're both great, and the water system is quieter and provides hot water for the taps, the forced air system does a _great_ job of reducing condensation. Worth considering if that's a big problem where you sail.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
one advantage of a hydro system

it's 0330h and you're bashing up the coast, motorsailing thirty miles offshore with sloppy weather on the nose. you've installed a toggle on your heating system so that it can run either on "system heat" or "engine heat," and now you've got it running full blast. you put a flotation cushion at the top of the companionway, just inside the dodger where you still have a 360-degree view of the darkness, and sit there in a rush of warm, free air. 24 hours later, exhausted, you sneak into a friendly cove, drop the hook and toggle over to "system heat." You collapse into your warm matress (water lines run under the bed, providing radiant heat) and your last thought is that when you wake up in another eight hours you will have hot water for a shower. ahhhhhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.