Heat exchanger question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2012
Islander 30 Bahama Keyport
Still trying to figure out all of the operations on my I-30 Bahama. Is there anything I need to do to operate the heat exchanger? In particular, does the water get drawn in there automatically as long as there's water in the main tank or do I need to do something to get it there? Or is the hot water line constantly routed through the heat exchanger?

sd1953

Nov 8, 2012
Endeavour 38 Center Cockpit Ft. Pierce
What engine do you have in the boat. Sailboatdata.com says it should be a Volvo MD7A, 13 hp diesel. Is that the engine in the boat?
The Volvo maintenance (Workshop) manual I found online doesn't show a heat exchanger on that engine. (Although logic says you would want a sea water / fresh water hx for corrosion control.)
Folks her could help more if you gave the brand and model of engine.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Is this a heat exchanger that's mounted on and helps to cool your engine; or, is it a heat exchanger on your fresh (drinkable) water system to heat hot water for washing dishes, showering, etc.?
;-)

Dec 22, 2012
Is this a heat exchanger that's mounted on and helps to cool your engine; or, is it a heat exchanger on your fresh (drinkable) water system to heat hot water for washing dishes, showering, etc.?
;-)
It's the latter. Sorry about the confusion.

Dec 22, 2012
What engine do you have in the boat. Sailboatdata.com says it should be a Volvo MD7A, 13 hp diesel. Is that the engine in the boat?
The Volvo maintenance (Workshop) manual I found online doesn't show a heat exchanger on that engine. (Although logic says you would want a sea water / fresh water hx for corrosion control.)
Folks her could help more if you gave the brand and model of engine.
It's a Yanmar 2GM

sd1953

Nov 8, 2012
Endeavour 38 Center Cockpit Ft. Pierce
My bad. If it is a hot water heater the engine make and model won't help. I have a small shore powered hot water heater on mine so I'm not going to be able to help you based on what I have on my boat. But I am interested in your setup.
What is the source of heat for your HX?
How large a tank of hot water do you have? And does it refill from the fresh water tank automatically or do you need to manually refill it?

Dec 22, 2012
My bad. If it is a hot water heater the engine make and model won't help. I have a small shore powered hot water heater on mine so I'm not going to be able to help you based on what I have on my boat. But I am interested in your setup.
What is the source of heat for your HX?
How large a tank of hot water do you have? And does it refill from the fresh water tank automatically or do you need to manually refill it?
That's what I'm trying to figure out--do I need to fill the hot water tank separately or does it just draw from the 25 gallon fresh tank directly.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
A hot water heater will fill by water pressure .... But only after all the air is purged out of it -by 'burping' the pressure relief valve when you initially fill it each season.

To winterize, you open the PRV so it can drain, and that's how it gets the air inside it.

Dec 22, 2012
Thanks, Rich. I'll go looking for my PRV this weekend and assume I'll figure out how to "burp" it. These highly technical terms can be so intimidating! ;-)

A hot water heater will fill by water pressure .... But only after all the air is purged out of it -by 'burping' the pressure relief valve when you initially fill it each season.

To winterize, you open the PRV so it can drain, and that's how it gets the air inside it.

Dec 22, 2012
So I'm finally under way and I'm pretty frustrated with the hot water situation. I did the PRV burping but didn't hear any air escaping but that could just be my hearing. According to the plumbing diagram in the manual, the hot water lines are permanently routed through the heater. However, it didn't if I used shore power for the heater (which definitely became warm) or the engine, the water still came out cool through the taps. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.