Headsail Length and girth

Apr 10, 2010
Hunter 26 Boca Chica, Rep. of Panama
H26 1996... I want to order a sock and I need these dimensions. The manual says 28'33" Luff. The girth? 15'? My guess. Any points I should consider increasing for decreasing these dimensions let me know please. The boat is a 2hr drive away...I figure with some feed back here I don't have to make the trip.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The size is going to be based on the headsail hoist, because you need it to clear the lifelines. Even if it's a little short for the sail you'll be okay, because the luff is shorter than the leech....and part of the sail always hangs out... Too long is not desired ... it makes for clumsy, inefficient handling on deck. As sfbay mentioned, the chute maker will make the recommendation based on your boat's rig.... the sail is designed using the same consideration.

Apr 10, 2010
It's a roller fuller setup does that make a difference. The sun is very intense these next few months until April. I bought one that zipped up a nice feature but within a year it was starting to come apart. I want to go back to strictly a sock made from sunbrella. The Hunterstore here asks me for the dimensions so I came here to ask what I might give them to work from. The girth isn't mentioned in the manual. Any suggestions?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
To clarify - it sounds like you mean a sock for protecting the furled headsail, not a spinnaker sock, correct? Most “socks” are for spinnaker handling, and that’s where the girth measurement would really apply. For the headsail the luff length seems like it would be the biggest factor. If you know your headsail’s LP measurement (aka overlap) that might be the equivalent of the girth, since that affects the diameter of the furled sail.

Apr 10, 2010
Roller furled...sorry for the confusion. This boat sits out in an intense tropical sun. I made the mistake of buy a sock from a reputable state side supplier and it could not handle the sun. It was fancy with lines and Velcro but it was not a sunbrella canvus that I know will hold up. Maybe girth isn't a issue from the replies I have read but it was a question on the form I was filling out at sail site.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Another option is to sew a sacrifical sunbrella sun cover on the jib.

Apr 10, 2010
I now have an outdated Sail rite kit that I have given up on getting it sewn up any time soon if ever. It takes a industrial sewing machine. That took awhile. In the mean time as I said the kit became obsolete. Now its a toss up if it ever gets finished. So now it's left to getting the dimensions right and ordering one.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Order from the forum store. They have your dimensions and make sure you order with the sunbrella cover. They will need to know which way your furler rolls out to port or starboard

Apr 10, 2010
What is the name of the store? Because I don't see it listed in the forum

Apr 10, 2010
Oh well I had that listing but thanks for the verification. They do ask for my sail dimensions which is why I posted here in the first place. Guess it means a trip to the boat yard unless the manual specs are sufficient..thanks of everyone's support Feliz Año Nuevo