Heads up for FWC VP 2003 owners - heat exchanger

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Morning all. We have a '91 Beneteau with the VP 2003 engine. It runs very reliably but I'd noticed that my coolant reservior was rising slightly after several hours running; seems the only thing that could be is a leak in the h/e into the coolant side.

I took my exchanger to a local outfit, they put it in an acid bath and seem to have dissolved much of it and it was REALLY pooched after that.

Volvo parts are notoriously costly and hard to find, it seems, but after much searching I found a warrantied reconditioned one in Holland and had it shipped out (props for Ship Outlet Store - good service and real time communication when ordering)

However when I went to install the 'new' exchanger the Y pipe that connects the FW pump to the heat exchanger and expansion tank appeared to be 1/4" short. As it happens, my original exchanger had a clamp-on mounting bracket, the replacement had a fixed/welded bracket. I also happen to have an almost complete spare engine - that heat exchanger was also not serviceable but it was the fixed bracket version. I had that Y pipe in the shop and it was indeed that little bit longer so in the end everything fit together.

So if you're in the same boat ;) pay attention to the exchanger mounting bracket and try to match it. If you go from 'fixed' to 'clamped you might cram it in but I doubt it. If we hadn't had the spare we'd be ordering another part at yet more expense and, like poor John, losing more 'in season' sailing.

Now to get all the air out of the coolant system.......:huh:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I took my exchanger to a local outfit, they put it in an acid bath and seem to have dissolved much of it and it was REALLY pooched after that.
When you have your HE cleaned at a rad shop, they will pressure test the HE after cleaning. What were the results of that test ?

Sep 24, 2021
When you have your HE cleaned at a rad shop, they will pressure test the HE after cleaning. What were the results of that test ?
Leaking at nearly every tube, was the comment... It wasn't leaking that bad in service, I don't think.

• Wow
Jan 4, 2006
Leaking at nearly every tube, was the comment
YIPES :yikes: ! You must be running around in battery acid to have it in that bad condition. I pulled and cleaned my 22 YO Yanmar HE and cleaned it with CLR household cleaner. Looked good on the sea water side after cleaning :

1690137144120.png

Reinstalled it in the housing and gave it an air test for a couple of days with no loss of pressure.

Yanmar has no zincs in the HE.

Sep 24, 2021
Yikes indeed.. currently on board trying to bleed coolant loop… maybe slowly winning.
I’ll post pics later today… it’s interesting.

Jan 4, 2006
I’ll post pics later today… it’s interesting.
Always interested in interesting.

I always wind up with a few dozen cc's of new AF which can't be jammed back into the system. I always measure what I take out and them mix up an equal volume of new AF. Figure on a few extra cc's of air being released into the HE jacket after each run. Add more AF to the newly empty portion of HE and do that maybe twice until the HE pressure cap is always filled to the top when checked.

Sep 24, 2021
Well, as happens at my age I had a couple of things backwards. I did have a fixed bracket version but with different holes. The spare engine had had a clamp on bracket.
also in hindsight the y pipe may have ended up being bent enough to seem “short”. But one fit nicely and the other one didn’t, so that part may remain a mystery. Also the new installed bracket had one round hole and one slot so no options re positioning.

photo: (L to R)
Clamp bracket version with broken/seized ready rod
My H/E as it came back from the rad shop - even the bracket is partially gone
The “short” Y pipe.. maybe
IMG_2404.jpeg

Anyhow we’re all back together and after at least a half dozen start/run/stop/burp cycles it looks like the system is bled. Started out with a 20 deg C difference across the block front to back, now 2deg.

Test run underway tomorrow

Sep 24, 2021
Looks like we’ve won this one. Hope jssailem had a good day too!