Headroom in Main Salon

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig Dawson

I am thinking of buying a 26D in the near future but my wife has one request for whatever boat we get. That is that it have at least 6ft of headroom in the main cabin. Can anyone please let me know what the headroom is without popping the cabin, or does the 26D even have a pop top? Also, is there a kit to put wheel steering on the boat? Thanks; Craig Dawson

B

BCassel

Re: Headroom in a Mac 26D

The headroom in a 26D is the same as a 26S, about 4.5 feet with the poptop down. If you put the top up, you'll have a solid 6 feet of headroom in the center portion of the cabin. Not in the head, not in the passageway to the V-berth, just in the galley/saloon area. Re: the wheel, I've heard tail of putting one on and saw a website with one, but I don't have the specifics.

C

Curtiss Grant

Head room in main salon

I actually saw a 26D in Houston, Texas with a steering wheel and it looked real nice. I am going to put a note on the boat and talk to the owner about it. The wheel was Edson which I had investigated and determined it would cost about $1200 new. A locate marine guy things he can put a 26X wheel on it for a lot less but I have not purused it. My concern is even with a wheel, can one really move away from the helm any lenghth of time in light of the tenderness of the boat. Good luck

C

Curtiss Grant

Head room in main salon

Refer to the following link for steering wheel.

J

Jim

No Mac has 6' of headroom

None of the MacGregor boats (except maybe the 65 footer!) have 6' of headroom without popping the top. Yes, the 26D has a pop top which gives you at least 6'. In order to get a boat with 6' of headroom throughout the cabin you will need to buy a fixed keel deep draft, not easily trailered, very heavy, and expensive boat. Hope that helps. The 26D is a wonderful boat, inexpensive, easy to trailer, and you don't have to shell out big bucks for a permanent slip ... if you can find one! Good luck! P.S. My wife LOVES our 26D!

Status
Not open for further replies.