"Headers": Pointing the 170 in shifty breezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike G.

Hi all, My wife and I took our newly-adopted miniature dachshund out for her first sail on the 170 today and she LOVED the open transom... she usually barks at "anything moving" (we don't know her life's history, but assume it was rough- she's very insecure & barks in any "new" situation) but just sniffed quietly at the water as it bubbled past the transom. Now on to my observations: My holiday-diet ("added ballast") allowed my wife and I to run the jib and main in 12 knot max. puffs (while I've always felt the need to furl-in the jib somewhat or reef the main to keep things under control at that wind speed) without trouble, so long as I sailed right on the wind-- so close to the wind that the jib would luff if I headed any further-up. By staying close to the wind, I was able to keep hull heel to 10-15% max and the sails basically close-hauled, but ocassionally a "header" (a breeze toward the beam) would cause me to bear off the wind just slightly in order to keep the sails full. So my question is: When sailing the 170, should one continue to bear off the wind until the breeze comes back, or should one bear off at the on-set of a header, and then quickly bear back up closer to the prevailing wind's original position, so as to catch the breeze more efficiently once it "re-organizes"? Any comments from 170 sailors who've had successful experimentations with headers would be appreciated. The Florida lake I sail on provides inconsistent winds to say the least near shore, and I'm still trying to figure out a consistent strategy for sailing more efficiently when the lake breezes aren't rock-solid (although the breezes are far more consistent in January-March than they are at any other time of the year here!). Thanks for any input you can give. Mike G. s/v Lil Sport

Dec 16, 2004
Hunter 170 Panic Stricken
Headers

Hi Mike Good to hear you are taking your four leged crew with you. The h-170's forward cubby is great for them........, well...., maybe not perfect for my 210 lb. English Mastiff. But that's ok. I will continue to take him with me....., even though my h-170 always looks like it is about to pitch-pole at any minute. To the question. It is said, "SPEED FIRST, THEN POINT". If you have a lull, then fall off just a bit. If you have a gust, head up just a bit. If you have a header fall off. If you have a footer, head up. However, in all of the above conditions, be easy on your rudder, lest you create excessive drag. You can use your body weight in addition to using a light helm. Mike, have you made any other changes to you 170 since we last talked? It is always fun to look at new changes. I still have not had a chance to try out my Boom-Kicker. I am looking forward to it. Danny

J

John Kivel

210LB DOG!

Danny, I remember you and your dog from the "Small Craft Advisor" article that helped sell me on the h-170, and I have been wondering ever since I sailed this boat. . . As sensitive to weight placement as this boat is, has your crew every tossed you in the drink?? He must be a very well behaived dog, I can't imagine 210lbs of unpredictibility on a 170. The other extreme- my sister in law goes fishing with her 6lb poodle. John

Dec 16, 2004
Hunter 170 Panic Stricken
Sir Winston

Hi John I'm glad I had an influence on you H-170 purchase. Winston has never put me in the drink....., at least from the boat. He did push me into the surf just as a big wave was begging to tower over me. I did have to fish him out one day when I jibed and he stood up at the same time. I guess it was pay-back time. :) Winston is closer to 220 lbs., however most people have a hard time believing that. He is a great friend. You can see just a bit of him on the cover of "Small Craft Advisor". Just for fun, here is another pic. Danny

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Modifications to the 170

Danny, Nice to hear from you, and nice to hear that Sir Winston's occassionally shifting "ballast" has not gotten you guys (and the 170) wet. As for your question, no, I have not made any additional mods to our 170. I did, however, set the first reef point lines on Saturday (its cheek blocks and jam cleat added are on the mods post pictured on this site) just in case the breeze got up over anything my wife and I could relaxingly manage, but didn't have to actually use the reef. It was a perfect day- 10 knot, steady breeze. We're really learning the 170 and her responsiveness. Time was, I would have had the main reefed in that breeze! The breeze is much more reliable in Florida in the winter than in the summer, and there are fewer ski boats out there making wakes (although our 170 has handled 60' sportfisherman waves on the ICW with aplumb)! Mike

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
dog crew, pointing

I grew up with a half-miniature dachshund and he would bark at just about anything if he though you were being entertained by the sight. I'm still learning to sail my 170 and haven't figured out how to get it to point as high as I'd like. As for your mention of Florida breezes in January-March, that's just plain cruel. :) I live two miles south of Lake Ontario and as I write this it is five degrees F. outside and snowing at a rate that will put another foot of the stuff on the ground before morning. My next sail will be in May, so I envy you whatever breeze you get, however shifty.

Status
Not open for further replies.