Head to Holding in Yamaha 33 Tall rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2009
Yamaha 33 Tall Rig Nyack, NY
Seeking Advice or (who to ask)

I have a Yamaha 33' Tall Rig Engine under Cockpit, hull no. 55,

Problem: the hose from head connects to a check valve to a "Y". one side of "Y" valve leads to single hose to holding tank. The second side of "Y" valve goes to through gate valve to through hole. The "Y'' has a broken handle and "Y" valve will be replaced, however access to hose connections are accessed through the small triangular space in the head floor.

How to gain access to Holding tank hose connection without cutting through bulk head wall between head and "V" berth?
The holding tank is under the port side v berth with an acrylic cap with no less than 18 screws which are non functional.

The new "Y" valve has two possible set ups
1) set up for "A" to "B" or "A" to "C";

2) The second set up allows "A" to "B" or "A" to "C" or "B" to "C".

"A" from head through check valve to "B" holding tank.
"A" from head through check valve to "C" gate valve to through hole.
"B" holding tank to "C" gate valve to through hole to drain holding tank would only drain partially to sea level.

I am considering changing the system to a positive hand pump as apposed to the gravity drain system where you can only drain tank to water level.

Any help or advice will be appreciated
sailor1205@aol.com

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hooboy...!!

I'll be glad to help you sort everything out, but there's so much alphabet soup in your questions that I can't begin to sort it all out. So lets TALK instead of swapping at least a dozen emails just to get to where we can start pointing you in the right direction.

Send me an email-which you can do by just clicking on my name below my photo--and I'll give you my phone number. 20-30 minutes conversation SHOU:LD get you sorted out.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Peggy for sure will know how to fix your problem. I wonder how many other Yamaha owners there are? My dockmate on Lake Erie had a beauty, a 36' I think, and fast.

It would seem to me it would be simplest to get rid of the 'Y-valve'. Where do you go on the Hudson that you can pump overboard? Or maybe you are planning on going offshore?

S

sailor1205@aol.com

Head to holding

Peggy for sure will know how to fix your problem. I wonder how many other Yamaha owners there are? My dockmate on Lake Erie had a beauty, a 36' I think, and fast.

It would seem to me it would be simplest to get rid of the 'Y-valve'. Where do you go on the Hudson that you can pump overboard? Or maybe you are planning on going offshore?
Thanks Ed
there are some interesting things about the boat. you guessed it pump out through Y valves is part of off shore sailing. also considering a positive pump out system as i had on previous boat but space is a problem.

Morris

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Not sure I understand "positive pump out system" Morris. My boat originally had a Y-valve and a whale pump for pumping overboard. On Lake Erie we have to cap the overboard thru-hull. The pump and Y-valve were removed. There is a hose into the top of the tank from the Head, a vent hose, and a hose to the deck for pumpout. The hose to the deck connects to a "standpipe", a pipe that goes to within 1/2" of the bottom. It is a custom tank from Ronco recommended by Peggy nearly ten years ago.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2009
Yamaha 33 Tall Rig Nyack, NY
By "positive pump out system" i was thinking of installing a Y-valve and a whale pump for pumping overboard.
This was the system on my previous boat.
Morris

B

Brownie1

Sanitation question

Hello all:

This is all very interesting.

I have owned 3 Yamaha's two 25's and one 33. The 33 had a bladder holding tank and macerator pump for pumpout.
I am working on financing to purchase a Yamaha 37, my dream boat. This one has a ridig holding tank, no through hole and can only be pumped out.
Usually there is no need to discharge but my dream is to some day aspnd a little time cruising the Pacific Coast. With that in mind, what are your thoughts on upgrading to include a macerator pump and adding a discharge through hole?
Regards,

Ed Serra

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I don't have a problem with it...

But I'd wait till you can use the macerator and thru-hull to install 'em...why add two things to maintain (macerator and seacock) that you can't use? And if you don't maintain 'em, they won't still be useable when you can use 'em.

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
Yamaha 33 holding tank removal

I had the fortunate experience of removing the holding tank from our yamaha 33 tall rig Yanmar 2GM under cockpit boat last summer. The fiberglass holding tank rests in a cutout on the port side of the V-berth. There are large screws holding the tank to the berth surface and these should come out. There are also many smaller screw machine screws around the perimeter. These are actually bolts and nuts are located under a lip.

To remove the tank, undo the hoses from your Y-valve (make sure the tank is empty) and the deck pump out. Remove the large screws and with the assistance of another person lift the tank up and back. It is not heavy (35 pounds). Your helper will need to gently feed the hose as the tank is lifted. (My wife loves me...) Our holding tank had hose attached at two points... the inlet faces down and receives the hose that comes up from under the bulkhead and the outlet is at the forward end of the tank and is visible.

If your tank is leaking at the seal, make a new gasket with 3m 4200. Run at least two complete beads around perimeter before placing lid on. The tank has no odour now. If you have tried loosening the many small screws around the perimeter, you will have to gently re-tighten them. Better to take the opportunity to re-bed the lid.

While I had mine apart, I pressure washed the inside, let air for a week but it still stank. I then put 4 coats of Interlux Interprotect 2000 on the inside as a barrier coat. This stuff is usually used for osmosis treatment but seems to have worked for stink treatment.

Rick

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
Electric macerator

We have the same boat as you. The discharge from the forward port on the holding tank goes to a T. At right angles to the line coming from the tank is a electric macerator pump. The pump goes directly to a through hull which normally has a ball valve in the closed position. Continuing the line from tank leads to the deck pump out in the bow.

Everything goes through the tank. When the tank is full there are two options: deck pump out or pump out using the macerator. Simply open ball valve and pump. Close valve when finished. No Y-valve.
Rick

May 9, 2006
Beneteau 373 Mystic, CT
Hello All, I owned a Yamaha 33 or about 22 years. the holding tank was installed in the "closet" on the Starboard side of the head, behind the v berth. the holding tank set below the shelf at the bottom of the door. It was a very good system. My only modification was the addition of a second y valve and a manual pump for overboard pump out ( where permissible). The original Y valve did require replacement at about the same time. The system was wonderful and never had any smell problem. Did replace the original thru hull valve with a Marlon valve. The tank was a black fiberglass and the pump out connection permitted very effective pump out.

It was a great boat.

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
Holding tank

Took the holding tank of our Yamaha 33 rear engine last summer. Some of the screws around the perimeter of the tank are larger. Undo these and remove. Undo the check valve. Lift the holding tank and up through the cutout of the v-berth (two person job-my wife loves me...). Use good quality wire re-enforced hose for replacement. It's expensive but worth it as it is way more pliable and I didn't even need my head gun.

At some point I would get rid of the gate valve and replace it with a ball valve.

Rick B

Status
Not open for further replies.