Head sail furling technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HOW Editorial

When time comes to furl your head sail, how do you do it with the least strain on you and the rig? Do you head up and pull like heck? Ease off (sail downwind) to deflate the sail? Do you use a winch? Do you need to? Is your furler fickle? Share your furling phantasies here.

P

Paul R. Mitchell

Furling the Genny

Generally we're on a beam reach or closer to the wind. Ease the sheets and haul in on the furling line. We can keep a tighter furl if you have a second person (or three hands) to tension the sheet just enough to get a tight wrap. We almost never turn into the wind to furl. We could probably furl on anything less than a broad reach. Paul

B

Bryan

Blanket with main

If the wind is over 10 knots, heading downwind so that the main blankets the jib makes furling a snap, even in strong winds. Trying to furl going upwind in a 20+ blow is tough.

T

Tom

Don't have a furling jib...

but if I did: Pull in on furling line while letting go of working sheet gradually to maintain tension as the the sail furls. On a 30 footer or smaller, if everything is in working order, I don't think a winch should be necessary. Tension should be maintained on the furling line while letting the foresail out to prevent tangling or bunching in the drum. Fair winds... Tom

T

Tom Lukas

Head sail furling

I used to head into the wind until a friend said to try it downwind, now I furl downwind when ever possible, much easier.

A

Allan Hadad

Furling responses

Its interesting that the response statistics show the majority furl upwind, while all the written responses (so far) are from people who furl downwind. That should pull people out of the woodwork! We furl downwind. It is much easier and never requires a winch. We still have our original Crusing Designs Reefer II system which is all plastic. It has never broken because we never forced it by furling downwind. Allan

T

Tim

BLANKET

I agree with Bryan. In almost every wind condition (except near calm), I turn downwind, ease the main to blanket the jib, and then furl the thing in. It is MUCH easier on the rig, line, and, possibly most importantly....hands! As soon as the jib is rolled up, I head back up and drop the main, unless I'm planning to motorsail. One hint: If you have crew available, have someone keep a "little" strain on the jib furling line when letting it out at the beginning of the sail. That will help the line feed smoothly onto the drum and prevent drum overrides which (we all know!) makes rolling up the jib a whole lot more exciting! Happy sailing. Tim (SV "TIDE")

H

HOW Editorial

Final results

Final Quick Quiz results for the week ending 2/21/2000: When furling your head sail, do you head up or ease off? 76% Head up into the wind (308) 24% Ease off downwind (95)

Status
Not open for further replies.