Head room of a Cat 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kernix

Oct 18, 2006
- - In front of the wind.
I'm often seeing the headroom in a Cat 30 is 6'5" - I've also seen 6'4" at The Catalina 30 Yacht Owners Association http://www.catalina30.com/C30Yacht/C30Yacht.htm AND I've seen 6'2" in sales ads. I'm 6'2" and would like to buy a Cat 30 for liveaboard, but I do not want to constantly be bending over - 2-3" of clearance is fine, and having to bend fore and aft is only temporary and that's fine - but having to bend while cooking a meal - a meal that takes a 1/2 hr or more - now that's not fine. Does anyone know the exact figure? Also, Ideally I want to buy a used cat 30 bare bones with NO electronics - I found one today for sale - think $15K - no electronics and needing a paint job - I'd rather buy new equipment over the course of a year - what do you think of that plan? Jim

J

Jack

for sale

I have a buddys Catalina 30 tied at my dock right now. He has been trying to sell it for 6 months and is looking for offers. You may not have to skimp on electronics and other acessories to get a boat for 15k. If your near Florida and would like to make an offer let me know. Sorry about not knowing the headroom off-hand, I can walked down with a tape measure in a while and post the results. good luck, Jack

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C30

Jim 1. Headroom - why not just go on one and see if you fit. Also depends where the headroom si measured, since the sole and the inside of the cabintop aren't parallel. 2. Good idea about electronics - older boats usually need to have them replaced anyway.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
C30

C 30s are great boats, as Stu suggests, check the head room by going on board and seeing for yourself. If you can't get to a boat, check the forum: http://www.catalina30.com/ But I can tell you...you won't be able to stand up straight.

S

Stephen

Hi Jim

I am 6'1 and have a 1992 C30. I don't live aboard, but I have not noticed a headroom problem in the galley or salon. It does get tighter at the entry to the V-berth. I have read somewhere that different/older C30 models had more headroom because of the cabin sole height...you can check out the association web site for more details or like Stu said...just go aboard and see for yourself. Best of luck in your search..its a great boat.

J

Jack

Kernix

I took a few minutes and boarded my friends mid 1980's Catalina 30. I can see where it gets confusing about headroom. It all depends on where you stand in the boat. Using my own height as a guide I would guess the bottom of the companion way, under the hatch cover is 6'2" but you you move a few inches to port or starboard it quickly drops to 6'. Forward of the hatch on the centerline is 6'1" and again quickly drops off moving to port or starboard. The head is about 6' in headroom. I would agree that checking out a Catalina 30 is the best way to see how comfortable you are inside but I hope the basic info helped a little. I would not agree that an old boat has old equipment. This boat {for example} has all new electronics, sails and rigging installed in 2003 and my boat{ for example} and also being a late 80's boat, has new sails, electronics and rigging installed 2005 amd 2006. Look for a bargin! I hope this has been of some help. Good luck in your search, Jack

R

Rodger

You will fit

I am 6'3" and I fit, so you should do fine. Rodger

Oct 16, 2006
Catalina 30 Sandusky, OH
Headroom

I have a 1983 Catalina 30 and I am 6' 4" and have no trouble with the headroom. When I am cooking in the galley, I am able to stand stright without having to bend over. You will have to bend over some when you move toward the head and the v-berth. I looked at several boats before buying the Cat 30 and there is no comparison with any other 30 foot boat as far as headroom goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.