Head removal

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 272LE Douglaston
I wanted to replace the head on my ODay 272LE. The original Groco HF is bolted down to a platform. I cannot access the bolts on the outboard side without removing the platform. There are 4 screws holding down the platform. I removed them, and still could not budge it. I then disconnected the "wall" that is directly behind the head (the outboard side). It still wouldn't budge. I also ran a blade along where the 2 side "walls" sit on the platform (in case it was sealed by varnish or polyurethane). No movement. Is there anything I am missing? My only guess is that the side "walls" are holding it in place by weight - perhaps by settling over the years. Any thoughts?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
No need remove the platform 'cuz there's no need to access the "outboard" side of the bolts...there are no nuts on them, they're lag bolts. Just back them out.

After you remove the HF, I strongly recommend that you fill ALL the bolt holes, even those that may be useable by the new toilet. 'Cuz even bolts that are nominally the same size as the old ones can have misicule differences in their diameter, preventing the new ones from getting a good "bite," resulting in a wobbly toilet.

What's the make/model of your new toilet?

--Peggie

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 272LE Douglaston
Thanks for your quick answer. I should have written this earlier!
I spoke to Patrick at Groco, who is wonderfully helpful. He instead repaired my pump. However, upon reinstalling it, I cracked the plastic by overtightening it at the discharge connection. He advised me to clamp with a U-bolt or rig one using a treaded rod. I did this, and yesterday I connected everything. I have a very small leak now at the crack - only a couple of drops bubble up when I pump it. He had also advised me to solder the crack (melt the plastic to itself), which I had not done.
I really want to get the boat in the water this week, so I will live with that small leak when I use the head, which is rare. I may also solder that piece if I have time.
To answer your question (finally!), I am looking at the Johnson Aqua T, which seems to be the least expensive one I have seen. I usually only daysail but once a year. Do you have any opinion on that one?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If you plan to continue only day sailing once a year, the Johnson AquaT is an ok choice. However, that means your boat and everything on it will spend a lot more time sitting than being used...and lack of use is harder on all equipment than hard use because --along with everything else, lubrication settles or dries out, ceasing to provide any protection from corrosion and dried out rubber parts.

You'll also have to use a holding tank, which means replacing all the plumbing to and from it, so I have what I think may be a better idea: replace the toilet and the tank with an "MSD" portapotty."

On any boat much smaller than about 30' a self-contained system—an "MSD" portapotty--makes a lot of sense. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model is household height and holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $300--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space. The Dometic Sanipottie 975 is the 5 gal model and is household height Defender has it with MSD fittings for $299... the 974 is the shorter 2.5 gal model for $229 at Defender.

--Peggie

Mar 8, 2019
ODay 322 Bodkin Creek, Chesapeake Bay
I am one of many who've gone to a composting head and will never go back for just the experiences you are going through.