Head Overflowing Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
Last year I posted about an overflow I had in my head (YUCK), and whether a vented loop should be added. I was counseled to check out the "Head Mistress" forum, and spent a lot of time over there researching.

The upshot is I didn't add a vented loop, but I did install a new head. The Raritan PHII LBA Compact retrofit valve, available from SBO for $219.95 has been a very welcome addition to "Summer Sojourn." The lever valve on the old (stock) head was popping off the fully closed position, and I believe was why the holding tank contents were able to overflow. The PHII valve is very positive in each position, and I haven't had any overflow issues since installation.

The retrofit allows use of the existing bowl, so fit and install is perfect, EXCEPT for the mounting holes. I had to drill different holes in the cabin sole, and fill the old ones with colored gelcoat. VERY minor issue, but be aware.

Having said all the above, I cannot DEFINITIVELY say the problem is solved. I BELIEVE it is. However, I also believe the new head is a real improvement to our boat regardless. The flushing is easier for all due to the lever action (rather than a sliding plunger...), and the amount of water to flush is reduced. Overall quality is obviously better than the stock head, and rebuilding in the future, reportedly results in like new performance. This is not what I have heard from other Catalina owners who have rebuilt their stock heads.

All in all, I would recommend the PHII compact for other Catalina owners.

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Good info

When my toilet went FUBAR, WM had a sale ($100.00) on the Jabsco so I bought another and just bolted it in. First one lasted about 7 years with no rebuild. I hear a lot of good about the Raritan, but wonder why the price difference. FWIW, we leave our head in the dry position all the time and use the shower to get our potable water to flush the head. Since we mostly day sail and overnight, we don't use all that much water so we do this to help keep the water fresh. It also helps it smell better as opposed to that good Potomac River water.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
When my toilet went FUBAR, WM had a sale ($100.00) on the Jabsco so I bought another and just bolted it in. First one lasted about 7 years with no rebuild. I hear a lot of good about the Raritan, but wonder why the price difference. FWIW, we leave our head in the dry position all the time and use the shower to get our potable water to flush the head. Since we mostly day sail and overnight, we don't use all that much water so we do this to help keep the water fresh. It also helps it smell better as opposed to that good Potomac River water.
I almost went with a replacement identical to the original, but have never liked the plunger action. The cost difference was worth it for me because of that, and the fact that it uses less water per flush. For a day sailer, neither probably is a big deal, but we cruise, and maximizing the holding tank is an issue to try and address.

We HAVE been using the shower to flush the bowl, and the smell factor is down, and the fresh water DOES get used up, rather than sit and stagnate.

Jon Freeman
"Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Status
Not open for further replies.